The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey tpt shrimp sector!

So I have a tank that has become a money sink and is curse for shrimp. I have no clue what the issue is with it but shrimp of all types from amano to cherry to blue phantoms all last maybe a day before dying in it. I see all of these people who can keep rcs alive and breeding in damn cups on a windowsill but this tank cannot even keep a ghost shrimp alive. Fish and snails, no problem.

4 gallon
Ada aquasoil
Finnex planted+
Finnex px90 filter with purigen
I am drip acclimating all shrimp in
water temp stays around 72 but heats up from light and cools down at night
6.8-7 ph
0ppm ammonia, nitrates,and nitrites.
Paintball co2 at 1 bps(even without shrimp die)
Excell has been used in the tank, same with EI ferts.

All I want in that tank to have more than cpds and otos!

Any advice would be great to trouble shoot this tank.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe Excell?

Hey tpt shrimp sector!

So I have a tank that has become a money sink and is curse for shrimp. I have no clue what the issue is with it but shrimp of all types from amano to cherry to blue phantoms all last maybe a day before dying in it. I see all of these people who can keep rcs alive and breeding in damn cups on a windowsill but this tank cannot even keep a ghost shrimp alive. Fish and snails, no problem.

4 gallon
Ada aquasoil
Finnex planted+
Finnex px90 filter with purigen
I am drip acclimating all shrimp in
water temp stays around 72 but heats up from light and cools down at night
6.8-7 ph
0ppm ammonia, nitrates,and nitrites.
Paintball co2 at 1 bps(even without shrimp die)
Excell has been used in the tank, same with EI ferts.

All I want in that tank to have more than cpds and otos!

Any advice would be great to trouble shoot this tank.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't drip them just float the bag for 15-20 minutes then open it and dump them in. Dripping never work for me. What your gH at?

·
Registered
360 Posts
How often do you do water changes and with what? Also what is your GH?

I have a similar cursed tank for shrimps and I have given up and just left my fish in there who are doing great. I suspect for me it was the tank has lots of evaporation at my office and it changes the parameters but i'm not sure. I ended up buying another small tank for home and shrimps are doing great!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
"Don't drip them just float the bag for 15-20 minutes then open it and dump them in."

May work for kuro, but not recommended by many shrimp keepers here.

What is your TDS, gh and are you using RO or tap? How are you topping off?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank does have a good amount of evaporation. I do water changes every week of about 20% and top offs once during the week. I use conditioned tap water here in NY. TDS meter has yet to arrive sadly so that would be a big game changer. GH is around 30ppm

I have tried both acclimating and the float and wait...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You're gonna need to bump up your GH if you want to keep neos in our NYC tapwater.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea my meter will be here sometime next week. Ill go snag some GH booster today and fix this issue and try again! Also good to note about NYC water since my 15 gal shrimp tank will be cycled soon and was planning on stocking it. I am thankful yall saved me from a mass grave in that tank!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you top off with tap, watch the tds. Though it shouldn't be an issue with NYC tap since it's so low. Just do a water change if it gets too high.

·
Registered
386 Posts
could be your purigen too! There are some chemical stuff there that your shrimps dont like at all. Watch out your dosing too, dry ferts not good for shrimps too. Dilute them thoroughly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive been using Nicos premixed! Maybe I will tone them down. Purigen really? I thought most people use it in their shrimp tanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My tds meter surprisingly came in today and if it's not the Gh that's the issue it is probably the 417 tds rating...time for a serious water change

1 - 17 of 17 Posts