The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50 gallon 18 x 30 x 21 which makes finding lights a bit awkward. I keep reading about T5 lighting as being better than Power compacts. I came across the Current USA Nova T5 Extreme X2 which comes with 48W of light. Would 2 of these be sufficient (96W) to grow most plants. I plan on adding CO2. Thanks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Which fixture are you looking at? I was shocked at how bright t5's are compared to PC's. I'd measure your space again though and take into consideration if you have a hood, filtration equipment clearance and how much space you need to access the water. I thought I found the perfect fixture once, but when it came I realized that if I installed it I would never be able to access the water :rolleyes:

Also depending on how you mount the lights to the tank you may have more options.

Tina

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That fixture is suppose to be used without a hood. I have the 156 watt on a 65 gallon and its nice and bright. Run it ~ 5 hours with all four tubes and start and finish with just 2 tubes each. They are nice lights and very lightweight to pick up.

Is that tank 21 inches tall? Because I don't get your dimensions. The fixture you are referring to is for a 24" wide tank. My 65 gallon has a 36w X24tall X 18 deep.

To answer your question (if it fits), I think it will be enough since you are 3 inches shallower, assuming you have 3-4 inches of substrate and a 21 inch depth. It won't be super high light, but enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, the dimensions are 30.5 X 18.5 x 21 which is what limits the lights. There are not many 30" lights out there and most seem to be towards the lower wattage. There are several CF lights that have 2X65 or 2X55 lights whicha re 130W and 110W respectively. I was curious since the T5's are supposedly so much brighter, would the 96 total watts from two of these fixtures be enough light? The fixture is this http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_novaXtremeFresh.htm

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
PCs with a good reflector are about as bright as a T5 with individual parabolic reflectors. By "good reflectors", I mean such as sold by Aquarium Hobbyist Supply. Kim, the owner can get you whatever you need for your tank, and I highly recommend the company. The prices are more than fair too.
http://www.ahsupply.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.