The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 4 x 48" fixture from Current USA. It comes with a built in fan but the fan is very, very loud. Is this normal? How do I reduce the noise?

·
Registered
743 Posts
is it a brand new fixture? with all the noise going on around the fixture and you still heard the noise of the fan ? i would call current and tell them send over and new fan or some ...brand new fixture( fan) not support to make that much noise that u can heard.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I have their 54W x's 4. I hear the fan but it's just the air moving and not something wrong with the fan.

SteveU

·
are you experienced?
1,989 Posts
they are kinda loud for sure, i asked them about it last year and they sent me a new fan to see if that made a difference and it didnt. they also told me i can turn one of the fans around since they both blow in instead of out. i did that to and not much difference, its loud and annoying to me. its a higher pitch whine or hum more than a fan sound. i asked here the same question and from what i hear there just loud units. no other brand is as loud ive found out.
i think if you only let 1 fan run it would be alot quieter, the coralife and other brands are super quiet compared to the current. i only run 1 light on my dual fixture so i rarely run the fan if im in that room. if im out of the room i will run the loud fans lol

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Hi,

I have a 4 x 48" fixture from Current USA. It comes with a built in fan but the fan is very, very loud. Is this normal? How do I reduce the noise?
Yeh, I found at another forum that is normal. Not all are bothered by the noise but I get a bad headache even with just 1 on. I have a 24 in light fixture by Current USA. I bought a 120mm fan on Ebay for $5. I splice the wires into an adaptor rated 12 v and placed it the side of the light fixture. Only half of the fixture is cool thus am going to get another. The fan is cheap because it doesn't have any bearings, thus may not last long. I have used it for 6months. I found that under 30 db the fan will be quiet.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
48" 54w x4 (three units) and yes the fans do whine somewhat but without the air flow heat does a real number on the ballasts. The fans Current uses are good quality but the rpm they run combined with the small size make them a bit louder than PC fans.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking of modifying the case with more cooling holes and maybe find a quiter fan to replace the one they have on it. BTW, there is only one fan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking of modifying the case with more cooling holes and maybe find a quiter fan to replace the one they have on it. BTW, there is only one fan.
You don't need to do all of that. What I did with mine was that I got a light dimmer from home depot and ran my fan at 75 percent of the factory speed. What I found that it was a good compromise between cooling and noise. It's been about 4 months and the unit is still running great.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been beta testing for these guys for a while now.
I have a newer nova extreme on my reef in living room, and fans aren't that bad.
I know that they did have issues w/ some fixtures that had fans installed backwards, and those made more noise.
My planted tank is in my bedroom, and when I got a newer nova it was pretty darn loud.
The rep gave me an older nova, the one w/ a single reflector and moonlights, and what big difference, so much quieter.
I remember him saying they changed fans, and the new ones ended up being louder.
Not sure if these can be switched out, or if the older fans are even available or not, maybe email them and ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts