The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out the best way to put some good enough amount of quality light on top of my 4x3x2 vivarium project.
The vivarium will be for frogs, geckos, fishes and lotso plants!!

Up until now I have been considering those fixtures:
Finnex planted+
from amazon.ca 150$
Beamworks
from ebay 150$
Current-USA Sat+ freshwater flexible strips
from drfosterandsmith (2 of em is just like one fixture)90$
BML dutch
360$

Basically I REALLLY like the weather effects of the Current-USA strips but just them alone would probably never pull enough light so I gotta find out another lighting fixtures.
Here's a limitation tho, I would like to have minimal hardware on top of that vivarium as I will need access to feed and clean (no front doors). Which is why I am strongly considering the flexible strips.
BML definitely is best quality out there from my understanding but they're pricy..
That beamworks is only 150$ for crazy 7000 lumens output but they're all white LEDs.
Now finnex might be the best bang for your buck right? Good quality... cheap price.
So what if I bought, 2 finnex planted+ and put 2 flexible strips on each of the fixtures?
I think 3 fixtures would have better lighting coverage (4x3 tank..) but then it would be a pain to build some accessible door on the lid so I thought two fixtures with those strips would be awesome. I'd get good color, weather features and I would think good enough lumens and PAR right? for under 700$ (expensive... cause I am in Canada!)
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no one ever tried those strips on fixtures???
Are they only good for older fixtures that won't get too hot or are they fine on even the newer fixture such as the finnex planted+?

·
Registered
70 Posts
no one ever tried those strips on fixtures???
Are they only good for older fixtures that won't get too hot or are they fine on even the newer fixture such as the finnex planted+?
Yeah - here is a video of the Current USA Freshwater LED flexible strip in action on a fixture.

I know for a fact that the flexible strips don't produce heat but if attached to a fixture that does produces a lot of heat, It might start to peel off. I don't know much about Finnex light fixtures though.

For Flexible strips being a growth source? not to much - it's a good accent light but don't expect much in the PAR range.

This is a picture of the strip being attached to an Archaea Slim-Pro LED light fixture (it gets warm to the touch after a few hours)

Hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts