The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atm I have a 4ft 280L, sand, planted with spread out Hydrocotyle Leucocephala and a single Alternanthera Rosaefolia by my Malaysian bog wood. 300v heater and fluval carbon filter, x1 Moss Ball. The fish I have are x1 Black moor, x14 Neon Tetras, x1 Siamese Fighter. Its rubbish when your tank looks empty of fish and I'm feeling it. I like fish that stand out so I'm more of an oddball type.

The fish I would like to add to the tank are full of character!

Platydoras Armatulus - Striped Raphael Catfish x1
Agamyxis Pectinifrons - Spotted Raphael Catfish x1
Bunocephalus Coracoideus - Banjo Catfish x1
Pantodon Buchholzi - African Butterflyfish x1
Chromobotia Macracanthus - Clown Loach x1
Pangio Sp - Black Kuhlii Loach x5
Chinese Hillstream Loach x5

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Your siamese fighter (betta fish) is not compatible with anything but the neon tetras.
Goldfish need cold water, betta fish need much warmer water.
The African butterflyfish will eat your neons and betta, as well as maybe the two bottom loaches.
Your clown loach needs a large school and a bigger tank.
Your hillstream loaches need very fast water, your moor goldfish needs slow water.
Your Raphael catfish are going to get large.
The Raphael cats will eat your neons, maybe your betta, and probably the bottom two fish.
You definitely need to do some research.
You have some very nice fish ideas, but you're going to first make a choice between goldfish (who like cold water) and others. Goldfish can be kept with other goldfish, white clouds, and a few other species. Black moor goldfish need to be kept with other fancy ones, not the comet goldfish. Also, most goldfish will tear up your plants.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Have you researched those fish yet? Many of these species are not compatible due to size, behavior, temperature, and water parameter requirements.

Do you have a pond where you can move the ones that will outgrow this tank?

This, plus a lot of those fish need to be in schools, you can't just do one, like the clown loachs.

Plus black moors like it cooler while neons like it warmer.. Your moor will get big enough to swallow your neons as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank

Its a pretty good sized tank. I never thought the size would be a problem. The Chinese Hillstream Loach, Kuhlii Loach and Tetras are only small in size and number. I know the Clown Loach will grow massive but I have a back up tank in mind if needed. Anyway I will be buying it small so it can live in the tank for a year plus? Before out growing it. The Banjo Catfish grows slow and small, Spotted Raphael Catfish can grow 5.9 inches same for the Striped. Butterfly Fish 5.1 inches max.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
You need more than one clown loach, period. I'd suggest either nixing him or getting a tank large enough for a bunch. Don't bet on keeping babies... They grow kinda fast.
Also, the Raphaels and butterflyfish are predators with large mouths... They'll hunt small things.
Your neon tetras are food for about half that list.
Your banjo cat may or may not eat the neons and attack the kuhliis... It varies.
I'd suggest getting that betta a 3-10 gallon tank of his own... They aren't community fish. Either that or keep him with nothing but little, peaceful, non-nippy fish like neons.
Your goldfsh is also not a community fish. He needs cool water and his eyes are going to be prone to being damaged.
If you nix the tetras, the clown, the kuhliis, and the hillstream loaches, you can set up a decent large-fish tank. If you nix the big guys, you can set up a small-fish tank and get a huge school.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Most banjo cats need a sand substrate as they will bury in the sand. I had 3 10 inch striped rapheals that would eat anything that will fit into their mouth. A clown loach will end up stressed if there is only 1. they need a minimum of 5 to 6 to be happy

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
If you pick out which fish in this list is your favorite, we could help you "build" the rest of your stocking around that fish. To make sure all the fish have the same basic tank requirements and are compatible.
I second this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts