The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so they need to be culled. What about the water and plants? Are all fish in the tank infected even if they don't show symtoms. Please LMK ASAP
Thanks for the quick replies. That's why I love this forum ;-)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nope. No cure. Sorry. The fish will probably just die.
I've run into this before, plus I worked at a somewhat reputable LFS a while back that confirmed this when customers asked that question.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A couple years back one of my favorite fish was aflicted. I researched like crazy. Not only did she die, but I have yet to come across anyone who has ever saved a fish from it.

I believe dropsy is actually the visual manefestation of kidney failure- and as such the dropsy itself is not contagous. Whatever caused the kidney failure in the first place- well that's a different story. I would tell him to euthanize the fish, and do massive water changes, keep a real close eye on water quality.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you 100% sure it is Dropsy and not a misdiagnosis for Bloating/ Constipation? In which case you can administer Epsom salt bath.
If it is Dropsy, you can do a Salt Dip and raise the temp to 82F... it may help ease the fish.
I would not euthanize the fish, but let it live on naturally.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have heard the only cure for dropsy is to catch it just before the bloating phase....but then how do you know your fish has dropsy before hand :icon_sad:
ive had fish that got it
ive never had a fish recover
if the scales stick out so that the fish looks like a "pinecone" from the front...its dropsy
if the fish looks like it bloated...its probably constipated
if it was my fish ,and it was dropsy, i would euthanize
and ...trust me .... i HATE doing this

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks for your support with my problem today. You folks really helped make a great plan of action. Fish were culled and water changed 100%. It was hard to do,but I did what had to be done to protect my workplaces customers and employer from bad press. THANK-YOU

·
Registered
420 Posts
"culled", not killed, right???

"Bad Press"?? What industry do you work in?

Do try the salt baths though, and give the fish time- they could recover from whatever it is ailing them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.