The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use feedback from those who have cultured infusoria.

I’ve tried three different cultures and none of them have “seemed” to be successful. The first was with blanched zucchini and lettuce, the second used yeast, and the third a banana peel. I used about 20%-30% aquarium water and the rest RO. In each case, the water got cloudy but never seemed to fully clear up.

In none of them did I see free swimming individual organisms with the naked eye. I looked at a drop of the second one under a microscope and saw plenty of organisms. However, from the online YouTube videos, I developed the impression that I would be able to distinguish individual organisms with the naked eye.

My questions are:
  1. Should individual organisms be visible with the naked eye for the average person?
  2. Even with siphoning out only the liquid and none of the scum at the top of the culture, should the cultured water still have an odor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was wondering the same things as you because i’ve tried the yeast method and the leafy greens method the only way i’ve been able to get to work is actully using fish food. I took some of my aquarium water and just added some fish food every day and in less then a week i had a really good culture going. i personally can see my free swimming infusoria. So you could try that method...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering the same things as you because i’ve tried the yeast method and the leafy greens method the only way i’ve been able to get to work is actully using fish food. I took some of my aquarium water and just added some fish food every day and in less then a week i had a really good culture going. i personally can see my free swimming infusoria. So you could try that method...

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it a shot.

Do you see a “cloud” or individuals swimming in all directions?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have always been under the impression that infusoria by definition is all basically microscopic. I wouldn't expect to see any with the naked eye.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just copied out the section on Infusoria in the 1960 pamphlet by Robert Gannon called Live Foods for Aquarium Fishes, published by T.F.H. Publications, Inc. Jersey City, NJ. Old but good information.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always been under the impression that infusoria by definition is all basically microscopic. I wouldn't expect to see any with the naked eye.
Thank you for the confirmation.

I just copied out the section on Infusoria in the 1960 pamphlet by Robert Gannon called Live Foods for Aquarium Fishes, published by T.F.H. Publications, Inc. Jersey City, NJ. Old but good information.
Thank you. This provided additional confirmation for the microscopic nature of the organisms. It was also helpful to understand the multi-step process and that filtering the final product sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Well You can only really see them if your looking very very closely then you can see super small white things moving around. But you do have to look very closely.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just copied out an infusoria excerpt from "Exotic Aquarium Fishes" by William T. Innes, published first in 1935. This book went through numerous editions by the Innes Publishing Co. in Philadelphia, PA until the 19th revised version published by Aquariums Incorporated in the 1960's sometime. That was the edition I devoured as a teenager.

I tried to rotate the attachment and was unsuccessful. Maybe one of you younger members can figure it out. I tried a few times, renamed the file, and it didn't work. I give up.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well You can only really see them if your looking very very closely then you can see super small white things moving around. But you do have to look very closely.

Your eyes must be much younger than mine. :wink2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny you guys say that about regular fish flake. I would get infusoria accidentally in some small 5 gallons I use for for shrimp without a filter using just fish flake.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i just copied out an infusoria excerpt from "exotic aquarium fishes" by william t. Innes, published first in 1935. This book went through numerous editions by the innes publishing co. In philadelphia, pa until the 19th revised version published by aquariums incorporated in the 1960's sometime. That was the edition i devoured as a teenager.

I tried to rotate the attachment and was unsuccessful. Maybe one of you younger members can figure it out. I tried a few times, renamed the file, and it didn't work. I give up.

Infusoria_Wm. T. Innes 1.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts