The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that different varieties (i.e. colours) of neo shrimp have quite different eating habits?

For example,
  • My RCS like to forage amongst the moss, but my Goldenbacks in the same tank can be found hanging upside down below the floating salvinia.
  • The Sunkist in another tank spend all day on the cholla wood, whereas shrimp in other tanks aren't bothered by it.
  • My Goldenbacks love courgette, but the Sunkist completely ignore it.
  • RCS and Goldenbacks race to grab a frozen blooodworm, many Sunkist just can't be tempted.

Each colour of shrimp I have seems to have quite particular tastes regarding what and where they want to eat, which I thought was odd given that they are all neo's. Perhaps it's what they were brought up on as baby shrimp; it will be interesting to see whether shrimplets born in my tanks behave the same or follow their parents preferences.

I thought this interesting anyway, and wondered if anyone else had noticed anything similar.

Happy shrimp keeping,
James

·
Registered
15 Posts
I happy I'm not the only one noticing this. it seems my reds will spend more time in moss then anywhere else to graze but my golden backs like to spend their time hoarding on the top of the driftwood I put in there near the floating plants

Bump: I happy I'm not the only one noticing this. it seems my reds will spend more time in moss then anywhere else to graze but my golden backs like to spend their time hoarding on the top of the driftwood I put in there near the floating plants

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems not just my little critters that have 'family traits' then between the varieties. Interesting! Wonder if it's a learned behaviour from what was in the tanks they were bred in, or whether perhaps different colours feel safer against different backgrounds?

cherries are a different subspecies from gold back actually
Really, they're not all just varieties of Neocaridina Davidi?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
There are two recognized species of Neocaridina frequently bred within captivity. That said it is possible that there are more types... that is, perhaps the blues came from a different species as the reds... and the yellows came from a different species as well.

For all intents and purposes, all Neocaridina within captivity are considered to be N. davidi, except for Snowball, Blueberry/Blue Pearl and an Amber (not really seen) which are N. palmata.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.