The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rcs and wondering when i should be culling the heard. I've noticed some have less coloring then others. But What size should i be culling? I have a hard time telling males and females apart when around 1/4" obviously the males have less color.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It's best to start culling when they're around 2-3 months old, as they start breeding around 3 months of age. I think this is around 3/4" size.
Shrimp can also color up as they age, depending upon the grade.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Do you folks cull to another "culled" tank or do you cull to your Angel tank as a sort of "buffet"...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
General observations of shrimp lineage is that they're not as simple as punnett squares, which can make predictions difficult. It appears that shrimp coloration typically follows parental phenotypes, but that there will be those with a "superior" and those with an "inferior" typing due to random chance, random color distributions, etc.
It also appears that those with "inferior" typing tend to be dominant, likely due to the fact that wild shrimp tend to be brownish or clear, though there is next to no genetic research on any of this, so it's all merely conjecture. In any case, there tends to be a general downward genetic trend, so culling is necessary to preserve what we value as higher grade.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.