The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an unpeeled slice of cucumber in my tank and the next day my plecos were dead. I checked my water parameters and found nothing wrong. There were probably some toxins on the skin that killed them.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
My guess would be pesticides too. A good rule of thumb is to wash all vegies real good with warm water. I usually blanch any vegies going into the tank as well.

·
Registered
828 Posts
They also put a waxy substance on them to keep them shiny. The only way I have found to get that stuff off is with dish soap, then you have to make sure you clean it well afterwards.
I got to where I just peel them before feeding.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Another thing about wax is it's applied after harvesting, so it traps the pesticides underneath the wax, so just running water won't clean it off.

We use a product called Fit (there's lots of others on the market, too) before eating apples, etc ourselves, too- it's an organic, biosafe cleaner that will remove wax and pesticides.

If that stuff kills fish it's probably not good in our human bodies, either.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing about wax is it's applied after harvesting, so it traps the pesticides underneath the wax, so just running water won't clean it off.

We use a product called Fit (there's lots of others on the market, too) before eating apples, etc ourselves, too- it's an organic, biosafe cleaner that will remove wax and pesticides.

If that stuff kills fish it's probably not good in our human bodies, either.
I have developed a chemical sensitivity problem, thus this is good info for me. I eat mostly frozen vegetables except for carrots.

Today found 1 of the 3 pleco living. Thought he had got eaten up. Put him the quarantine tank. Hate that he is all by himself now.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Wow! Sorry for your losses. That's the second time I've read of this happening this year. Makes me real nervous I go through a lot of zuchini with my plecos.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This story scared the crap outta me as I have a piece of cucumber downstairs right now serving as snail bait! "Did I wash it?" "How well did I was it?" "Do I usually wash?" Then I remembered the cucumber was from my little dumpy organic garden. Whew. Sorry for your loss, but the story will remind me summer is over to be careful when I'm back to cucumbers from the market. d

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I couldn't tell you what state. It was on another forum and a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This story scared the crap outta me as I have a piece of cucumber downstairs right now serving as snail bait! "Did I wash it?" "How well did I was it?" "Do I usually wash?" Then I remembered the cucumber was from my little dumpy organic garden. Whew. Sorry for your loss, but the story will remind me summer is over to be careful when I'm back to cucumbers from the market. d
Me too. Lots of them!

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
Wax is used to maintain moisture for long distance transportation. The shininess is a bonus.

The wax, which is regularly used in other foods for other reasons, is less of a concern than pesticides.
You may be joking about the shininess of a cucumber, but whats wrong with the way they come off the plant?...lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wax is used to maintain moisture for long distance transportation. The shininess is a bonus.

The wax, which is regularly used in other foods for other reasons, is less of a concern than pesticides.
It might make it a bonus but it's still a fact that it covers the pesticide that is on it. When I have to buy veggies for my fish I will usually just peel them under running water and that way I don't have to worry about the pesticides. I usually freeze what I grow in slices big enough for each tank so I usually don't worry about those as I don't use pesticides. And with 21 tanks running I go through a lot of veggies.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
No. Plenty of good guesses and certainly at least a coincidence. I may have just been lucky, but I've been feeding my plecos cheap Aldi's brand zucchini for two years and haven't had any deaths (aside from me killing them). I don't know what the pesticide content is in their foods, but since they're so cheap, and certainly waxy, I'd say it's pretty bad.

Nothing wrong with skinning the veggies first, except that the skin kind of keeps the mess level down.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is there actually any evidence to support what's been said?
Nice question!
Although journalists are just middlepersons that may or may not have the story correct, here the Chicago Tribune reports on this issue. Although the focus is fruit, vegetables are mentioned as well. It'd be nice to see the government report itself. Maybe someone can find it, I could not.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-0812-peaches-pesticides_mainaug12,0,2494206.story
Of course the question remains as to whether pesticides at these levels are toxic in the aquarium.
In any case, washing vegetables is relatively easy and can be successful without specialty products (I do use the product mentioned earlier, Fit, when I have particularly waxy fruit/veg).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts