The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long came in, here we go...

Substrate - Eco Complete (about 30 pounds)
Ohko Stones
Beamswork 36-40in
Eheim 2213
Aquatek C02 kit - 24oz paintball
probably more I'm forgetting.

Took me and a buddy hours to setup this hardscape, we just kept making different designs, we ended up with this layout. I have been growing dwarf hairgrass and s repens emersed so I had a lot of plants waiting to go in this tank. Hope you guys like it. Hit me with comments, suggestions, complaints, advice, whatever you got. I plan on flooding the tank in about a week, also I want some red plants going across the back of the tank, any suggestions? This will be pic heavy haha.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 10 update:

Propgated the S. Repens a little more, I also think the dwarf hair grass might be sending off some runners.
I have rotala wallichii coming in the mail which I am going to plant across the back as a background plant.
Flooding will happen in a few days as well.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Always wanted to get my hands on some Wallichii, beautiful plant. maybe I will and use it in my 40B. I also LOVE your scape, caught my eye and brought it throughout the whole scape. I look forward to seeing this progress as everything grows in. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great. Ohko are personally my favorite. Maybe raising the substrate in the background to create depth? If not, long lants like the Wallichii you chose look awesome too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always wanted to get my hands on some Wallichii, beautiful plant. maybe I will and use it in my 40B. I also LOVE your scape, caught my eye and brought it throughout the whole scape. I look forward to seeing this progress as everything grows in. :)
Looks great. Ohko are personally my favorite. Maybe raising the substrate in the background to create depth? If not, long lants like the Wallichii you chose look awesome too.
Thanks guys. I cut all the rotala wallichii in half so there would be more to plant. I also flooded the tank tonight, co2 is pumping, everything looks great. Will post pictures tomorrow!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HELP

my drop checker has flooded, now I am getting no bubbles, not sure what to do. Do I need to relocate the drop checker to prevent this from happening? Please comment if you know what to do!
Here is a pic of my layout, I am using a co2 reactor.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
315 Posts
HELP

my drop checker has flooded, now I am getting no bubbles, not sure what to do. Do I need to relocate the drop checker to prevent this from happening? Please comment if you know what to do!
Here is a pic of my layout, I am using a co2 reactor.

[/URL][/IMG]
Drop checker or your bubble counter? For a bubble counter, in my experience the only way this happens is if there's a leak or your co2 runs out and pressure is lost, which makes water siphon from the tank into the bubble counter. There should be a check valve from your reactor to your bubble counter to prevent this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Sub1117 the bubble counter is flooded, my tank still has plenty of co2. Could it be that the water from the reactor traveled up the co2 hose and flooded the bubble counter when the co2 turned off? Since there was no pressure in the hose? And the 2 where at pretty much equal heights.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 71 Update:

Haven't updated in a while, you guys show me no love. Ripped the wallichi out, had some crazy algae, bought 2 nerite snails they were the answers to my prayers! Also I have a ton of hitchhikers so I got an assassin snail. Currently have 9 rummy nose, 2 harlequin rasbora, 2 amano shrimp. I had more of each buy they jump out every here and there. Also have been using R/O water for the past month n a half, it makes a huge difference!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks great. I don't see any algae, so you must've gotten that under control very well. I wanted S. repens also, but where my tank is so small, it wouldn't have done well as the foreground. I think it works nicely here, though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks good, I also have a 12 long with algae issues (I think part of it is that the tank is so shallow that even a weak light is a lot). I recently got 4 Nerites and man I was impressed at how much algae they will munch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great. I don't see any algae, so you must've gotten that under control very well. I wanted S. repens also, but where my tank is so small, it wouldn't have done well as the foreground. I think it works nicely here, though.
Thank you! Nerite snails went in on the algae, and sometimes sometimes I get a lot of algae growth on the dwarf hair-grass and I have to pull it out manually.

Bump:
Tank looks great!

Edit: Did the OTTO die?
:( yes the otto died

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ru ru REEEE-Scape!

So I rescaped a couple months ago. Switched to sand, did some osmocote on the base. Unfortunatley that was not enough nutrients for my plants and my plants have been slowly dieing. I have been to lazy to rescape it again with a good substrate but it has gotten to the point where I dont like looking at it anymore haha. The sand does look great though.

Pic from the day day I rescaped it:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts