The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I found a cube i like from a lps. Im going today to pick it up not sure if Im going with the 20 gallon or the 29 gallon yet. Ill post pix today when Im setting it up.
I do have a cpl of questions maybe you all could help me with.
Right now Im thinking a species tank with 6 pygmy puffers(that could change). No co2 and a mixture of fake and real plants. I want white sand for the bottom with java ferns tied to a tree branch and a few tall live bamboo plants in the tank along with some stones for hiding places.
What size filter should I get? I hear they are messy so get a larger filter then you normally would but then I hear they dont like too much flow?
Will plants grow in just that white sand? Or do I need to add something under it? I know I will need to dose with excel.
Any input is greatly apprecated.
Patrick

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
What size tank did you end up getting? Also, what type of filter are you looking at getting?

Java ferns don't need anything from the substrate and will get what they need from the water column. The bamboo will eventually die if it's fully submersed. What are going to use for lighting?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why mix fake plants with live plants. I prefer canister filters and filters that are much bigger then the max size its recommended for. I just don't think you can have to much filtration. Never kept puffers in planted tank. I know they eat snails so be good to rid snail. Not sure if they eat plants though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks vqfive
The filter I bought is for a 70 gallon tank. Like you I can't get too much filtration. I had to work within a budget that's why the canister will have to wait for awhile. The reason I'm going to mix real plants with fake is from all of the research I've done the puffers need tall plant. The fake plant will only be temporary until the real ones grow. I know most people consider snail's a pest. Me I have never been able to keep snails alive.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I love that size cube. Every time I walk into petsmart I want one. I don't think you'll need excel. Not with that light. I don't personally have any expirience with it but you might be able to keep stuff like anubias and ferns. Neither of which actually get planted into your substrate. You just tie them to some wood or a rock. With the light bio load you mentioned, you'll need to offer some fertiler or you plants will likely suffer.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok time for an update.
Tank has been up since last thur. I put about 15 gallon of water from my 40 gallon in the new tank as well as a few lava rocks one scoop of soil and a cpl of plants as well as a few floating plants. Today Im going to trade some of the bio beads from the 40 with the new tank. I have also put in a baby endler in the tank and have put in a few flakes every other day. Do you all think this tank will bve cycled by the 5th of jan? That will be little over 4 weeks of cycling?

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
endler has been exchanged with the 1 lonely snail I have lol. I also took some of the bio beads from the 40 and exchanged them for some from the 27 gallon I also took the media from the new tank and cleaned it with the media water from the 40 soaked it up really good

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks RobMc
Right now I'm thinking a dwarf tank dwarf rainbows dwarf corys and pencil fish. Lots of tree branches with java ferns tied to them and a few beds of crypts. Also shrimp

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks zoragen the spiralis sounds like exactly what Im looking for. If you dont mind me asking what tank mates do you have with the rainbows? Im not sure what I want to put in there with them other than shrimp. I know I dont want the run of the mill fish you see in every pet shop I dont want what I have in my 40 cardinals and rams also corys. Im a mess trying to figure out what else I may want to add.
thanks
Patrick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.