The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am frustrated with my build my LED 20 high output strip (up for sale). since they no longer produce aquarium lighting I can't get a controller or a second strip so my options seem to be to start over.

looking for suggestions for either two strip lights Finnex 24/7 or planted+, or a cube like AL Prime (seems Reef focused) looking for help.

Running C02, and fertz.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have you considered a Kessil? A A160 would work, but a A360 would be perfect. Intensity and color adjustability. I have one over my 34 gal cube-ish tank and its so amazing. Take a look at my journal in my signature. Feel free to ask any questions!

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Aquatic Life Halo or Radion XR15FW would probably work well for you also. I think this thread has pretty much covered all the freshwater LED pendant options.

I think the Kessil fixtures look the nicest. The A160 is the cheapest of the four, but would also be the lowest light option - not that it's low, just lower than the other three. BUT, all of the Kessils need an external controller for any kind of ramping or to program light tuning (half of the fun of having these type of lights). The Halo master unit and XR15FW have the timers all built in.

Can you tell that I looked into this a bit recently . . . and I ended up with none of the above and decided to build my own fixture.

-Justin

·
Registered
112 Posts
BUT, all of the Kessils need an external controller for any kind of ramping or to program light tuning (half of the fun of having these type of lights). The Halo master unit and XR15FW have the timers all built in.

Can you tell that I looked into this a bit recently . . . and I ended up with none of the above and decided to build my own fixture.

-Justin
You can tune the color and intensity from the unit itself on the Kessils. There are two knobs on top to adjust each. But you are correct about the ramping and timers. But an outlet timer and adjusting the knobs to your liking isn't that bad.

But I agree, messing with them and creating a dawn/dusk schedule is fun and can make the tank look different all throughout the day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I OK for $400 plus a mount plus a controller - convince me - why? (no really help me make the decision)

My BML XP is powerful enough, I'd just the to be able to push the reds , whil enot frying my moderate needs plants.

700 I could spend on- $50 on plant that work with the light and 650 on strippers (you pick you poison)

K

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kessil makes for a nice looking all around package. The light and gooseneck are nice clean and simple in a small profile to allow for top viewing of your tank and easy feeding and working on the tank. The colors and intensity they put out are adjustable as mentioned and look phenomenal. They plant colors pop and so do your fish. Lots of people say that their fish color up better with them. But the best part is the shimmer. It's the most lifelike natural shimmer you will find in an aquarium that you simply can't get from a panel light. (the Halo would be close but not to the extent of a Kessil). They are made by a horticulture company and the only LED designed and produced 100% in house. Growing is what they know and do!

Here is a great video showing the color and shimmer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DnE8iAyq9c

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just asking .....why wouldn't I go for two Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller for $160 and have the same control?

·
Registered
70 Posts
just asking .....why wouldn't I go for two Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller for $160 and have the same control?
It's one of those Ferrari vs Ford things. Sure, both can get you from point A to point B, but which are you going to enjoy looking at better?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the Kessil calculator and it recommended 2 150w for my tank. for a 20/20/20 seems like over kill.
thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used the Kessil calculator and it recommended 2 150w for my tank. for a 20/20/20 seems like over kill.
thoughts?
The a160we tuna sun is more powerful than the 150w amazon sun that calculator was recommending. Its an old calculator that hasn't been updated with the newer lights. The 150w has I think a 20" coverage area where the a160we is 24"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts