The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Odyssea 20g cube. It was used as a reef for a year, and Iv had it fresh water for the last year. With only anubias and kuhli loaches.

It has 2 36w CF 50/50 bulbs. With those bulbs would they really be 3.6wpg or not?

If so that would be low medium lighting right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
No, it wouldn't be 3.6 wpg. Since 50/50 are half actinic, which isn't beneficial in a planted tank because of the wavelength, you have 1.8 wpg. That would be considered low light, so you should be good with your anubias. Do you know what the wavelength of the non-actinic portion of the bulb is?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is high light intensity, in my opinion. The tank is about 16 inches high, right? A single 36 watt PC bulb at that distance gives enough light to be considered at least medium light. You have two bulbs, even though one makes the tank look ugly, in my opinion again, but actinic bulbs do provide usable light for plants, just not ideal light.

I assume when you used the tank as a reef tank you also used that same light fixture. If the reef tank had even close to adequate lighting, the fixture is providing far more light than you need for a planted tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in search of 50/50 lights for my cube 20, I have it as a salt water and want the plants and coral to grow any suggestions ??????????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.