The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got about 10 2x2" chunks of Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' (HC).
I see some beautiful landscapes made with this stuff and I just can't figure out how to plant it. Do I rip chunks off it and plant little bits so it can spread on its own or do I lay down the 2x2 chunks to make a carpet and put some sand on top to weigh it down?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Take off 2-4 plantlets of it with sharp tweezers and plant them separately to cover your entire foreground. If you don't want to spend 10 hours doing it, rip off larger numbers of plantlets at a time. It'll just take a bit longer to fill in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, What I actually did was I took three 2x2 chunks and laid them down on one part of the tank and all the rest of the foreground I planted small bits as close together as I could. This is the best aquascape I've done yet. After it grows in I plan on entering it in the ADA contest. I also just re scaped my 45g too and I plan on entering that one too.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just reading about HC and I found conflicting info. Some says HC needs a fertile soil and I read HC can be attached to rocks or logs. If thats the case than it doesn't need soil and is most likely not an aquatic plant but one that can survive underwater. For how long?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts