The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So weird situation. When i bought my aqua clear20 filter i tied the media bag in such a way that it formed more of a ball than flat packet. So now the top part of the media sticks out of the water. I also have seeded media from an established tank below this packet that is supposed to seed the new media. Its been about 4 months since then and the media bag i tied weird doesnt seem to have anything growing on it yet compared to the very brown established media below it.
So i went out and bought a new media packet and have it sitting on my wood, dosed the tank with beneficial bacteria and am hoping in the coming weeks to replsce the top media with this new packet if that seems like a sound solution?
Ive attached an image. Let me know thank you! ?

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
So weird situation. When i bought my aqua clear20 filter i tied the media bag in such a way that it formed more of a ball than flat packet. So now the top part of the media sticks out of the water. I also have seeded media from an established tank below this packet that is supposed to seed the new media. Its been about 4 months since then and the media bag i tied weird doesnt seem to have anything growing on it yet compared to the very brown established media below it.
So i went out and bought a new media packet and have it sitting on my wood, dosed the tank with beneficial bacteria and am hoping in the coming weeks to replsce the top media with this new packet if that seems like a sound solution?
but yes that sounds fine. Remember if the media has little holes and scratches and things of that nature the BB will grow in the inside and all on the outside..Most if not all the time you wont be able to see the BB any ways so don't worry about it..plus BB is all in the tank water in the filter on the walls every where so that's another reason why youll be fine.Just do what your doing and every thing will be fine..real quick though
is that a 20 long? and are you only using the AC20 on that tank alone?

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's a Mr.Aqua 12 gallon long. I have a Aqua Clear20 and Fluval Sea CP1 Circulation Pump
ohh ok ya you should be fine if you dont overstock the tank..besides that just keep doing what your doing and BB will grow on the media and then you can move it over to your AC20

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry my spelling is not bad it's this phone keyboard and me not checking before posting. Im worried about taking out the other media too soon since it normally takes a couple weeks to months to establish new media.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can have the media anywhere to seed it, doesn't have to be in the filter. As mentioned BB is found on every surface within an established tank and will quickly colonise any new surface added.

Your BB will always prefer to be within the filter due to the steady flow of oxygenated water. If you can't put it in the filter just pick a high flow area within the tank for best results.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you are trying to seed the media so you can start another tank, why not just use the bottled bacteria with Nitrospira? The media will only grow a small amount of bacteria because there are not many animals in the system, and because there are so many other surfaces for bacteria to grow on.

However, you could even hang the media from the walls of the tank, or lay it (still in its mesh bag) on the substrate. The key is to place it in the highest flow area you can find.
If you are going to be setting up another tank, why not add that filter to this tank, with the media that you will be moving over there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not setting up another tank. I am seeding a media packet to replace one in my filter that isn't sitting properly in the filter because of the way I tied it and I couldn't find a new mesh bag or panty hose.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think you'll be fine (and probably would have been fine without doing anything extra). You certainly didn't need to add in the bottled bacteria if your tank was already established; but that doesn't hurt anything either. I do just want to point out a couple of things for clarification.

First you need to understand the beneficial bacteria and how it lives/thrives/grows. It needs 3 things...water, air and waste (well maybe a fourth requirement is flowing water). So any media you had above the water line was essentially doing nothing. Wasn't harmful; but also wasn't helpful.

Second, you wont see the bacteria. The brown stuff your mentioning on the older media is just dirt and algae. It can actually take away some of the living space from the beneficial bacteria. The bacteria itself is microscopic and finds its way into the millions of tiny pores and openings throughout the media (most of which is not on the surface and is not visible).

Third, while placing a bag of media in the tank can and will allow the bacteria to grow, you're not giving it the ideal parameters. Back to my first point where the bacteria need those three (four) things. By placing it in the tank you're providing the water and the fish are providing the waste; but you're limiting the amount of oxygen it can get here as it can only use whats in the water column. A better idea is to maybe have an airstone running underneath the bag. This way you're providing even more oxygen and you're forcing water to flow over/through the media which is providing it with more of the waste inside of the tank, etc.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Remove the awkward media and hang this from the side of the tank.
Put the (new) correct media in the filter.

The bacteria from the old, established media will not get quite the good water flow they were used to, so will become less efficient. The tiny rise in ammonia will encourage more bacteria to colonize the new media, which is in the better location.
Every week for about a month remove about 25% of the old media. This will make the loss of this bacteria a gradual event, so there should not be any spike in ammonia or nitrite.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just wear some rubber gloves and give your old media a good scrubbing in some old tank water. I use quite a bit of floss, and I'd much rather spend 2 minutes pulling it apart and scrubbing in the water to get any detritus off, than use new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts