The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i think i may have misunderstood the EI guidlines. I have dosing my trase CSM 10ml as the post said. I have been doing this dry by adding 2 tsp of it every other day. My tsp on the side says 5ml on it so i assumed 2x would equal 10ml. Now after reading more into it do i have that wrong then for dosing dry?
Please help :icon_surp

Edit.
Tank is 55g with 110w, injected co2

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Haha yikes, that is a bit much, I do believe you have a slight misunderstanding.
10ml is based on a liquid form with a mixture of 1 tablespoon to 250ml H20.

You want to dose 1/8Tsp 3x a week.

1 tablespoon CSM+B to 250ml H20, 20ml liquid = 1/4 teaspoon of dry fert. (there are 12 - 1/4 teaspoons dissolved. 250ml/12=20.83ml

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA HA HA ok so that would solve my previous thread of why my water has been so cloudy. Thank you for the help. It pays to do ALL the research before starting anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what should i do then just start dosing now or what till sunday for water change and then start fresh?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could that be why i really havent seen much change since i started the ei. Sad to say ive been doing it for over a month now:iamwithst at that amount.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You will be fine either way.
But if the water is cloudy I would do a water change of 50% or more and start again, adding back mAcros immediately after the change, then add just a pinch of mIcros the following day.
Do another change over the weekend and reset again adding mAcros immediately after the H20 change.

Or wait till the weekend, you will be fine either way.

The change you are looking for is only going to come from adding more light which in turn will increase plant growth rate.
2WPG is a good setting for moderate growth, add more light for two or three hours a day to speed things up a bit, but use caution when doing so.

You have enough light to grow most anything,
With the light you have the system is working at a moderate rate which is a good stable setting.

To add more light will increase the margin for error, I recommend you keep doing your home work and learn with what you have before kicking things up a notch with more light.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
kunerd. How are your plants looking after dosing that much for about a month. Have you observed any specific effects (positive or negative) on the plants and animals in the tank that you feel may have resulted from the very high trace dose? The reason i ask is that people often worry about excess traces and this could be a good experiment :biggrin:

cheers
Neil

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the plants didnt seem to grow any faster. I went from 2x55w lights and no EI to now 2x55w and 1x95w light and EI dosing with the co2 injected and really seemed the same but the gsa came back supper quick. fish seemed fine tough. It was probobly my weekly water change of 50percent that kept it in ok.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So, I'm getting started w/ the dry ferts as well, if I wanted to, I can just do the CSM straight from the bag at +/-1/4 teaspoon of dry fert, straight into a coffee cup to dissolve in water?

I'm just trying to figure out the laziest way to do it...I know I'll get lazy after a while...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
347 Posts
word up Kunerd...I did my first dose yesterday of CSM, did 10ml (ie, 2tsp) just like you did...made sense to me at the time, I guess I'll cut down to 1/4 tsp in a coffee cup:hihi:

Its crazy to think that putting in 1/4 tsp makes any difference, such a small smallsy amount...

Umm...so this is my next question...am I not doing the other dry ferts correctly? ie, two days ago I put the following into my coffee cup and stirred and tossed it in:
1/8tsp KNO3
1/4tsp KH2PO4
1/4tsp K2SO4

I didn't think I needed to follow the dilution to 250ml this way...but if I'm wrong about how to do the CSM, am I wrong about how to do the macros?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
When you dose in mililiters, you'll have to find out how much water you're supposed to dilute the dry ferts with.

If you're dosing with teaspoon measurements, that's how much dry powder you use...so yes, you're dosing the macros right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the plants didnt seem to grow any faster. I went from 2x55w lights and no EI to now 2x55w and 1x95w light and EI dosing with the co2 injected and really seemed the same but the gsa came back supper quick. fish seemed fine tough. It was probobly my weekly water change of 50percent that kept it in ok.
Thanks for the reply. I guess this is something to think about for those worrying about copper, zinc, boron excesses from relatively small doses of csm.

·
Registered
347 Posts
THX EPIC...now I see the difference between the tsp measurements and the ml measurement.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
They are called trace minerals for a reason. You don't need a lot of them. I noticed in the Dosing sticky that the directions to make a solution of traces is kind of buried. It should be highlighted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Rex...maybe on your Yellow flyer you send out w/ the dry ferts make a "quick start for dummies" guide, and say the following:

"Here's what you do to get started quick n' easy"
Dissolve these macro's per the measurement in a coffee cup then toss it in your tank.
Dissolve the micros/CSM either 1/4tsp (in a coffee cup) or 10ml of diluted CSM"

I'm not quite a dummy, and the info to get started I thought was a little over-whelming (like all the measurements for ppm of K2SO4 etc etc, which really is more of an advanced user level...but it made me think that I was missing something I should know about).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.