The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LFS has told me that though my cherry shrimp, amano shrimp and wood shrimp are in assorted tanks around the house and doing fine, if I want to keep crystal or bee shrimp I need to use RO water due to the Total Dissolved Solids in the water around here. Anyone else heard of this? Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's no lie, the whole caridina species like soft water or low TDS. If your gonna keep them invest in a TDS meter. TDS in tap water varies so you need to take the safe route of getting an RO unit or you can buy jugs of distilled water at the grocery store. RO/DIstilled water has a TDS of 0 so your going to need a product to remineralize it and bring the TDS up to the preferred level. Your also going to need a certain soil that will buffer your water to a lower ph because they like acidic water.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Yup, that's right. Kudos to a LFS that actually knows.

For smaller volumes of water, I recommend filling an aquarium with RO water from the store. Cullingan water machines in Walmart work great and are cheap at ¢30 a gallon.

After purchasing, moving it in, make SURE it is cycled. Less than 20 nitrates, flatline of ammonia, nitrites.

You'll want to reconstitute, or put minerals back into your water, with products like Shirikari Ca+, keeping your TDS around 130-150.

You can do this with all Neocardinia and Cardinia shrimp. They'll certainly appreciate it. My cherries look healthier than ever, and I'll be getting shrimp from Speedie soon.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you think it's possible to get low TDS with filtered water then? What is the Walmart machine like? I live in the UK and even though we have Walmart here it isn't the same at all so I doubt I'd be able to get it. We do have the jugs that use filter cartridges. Is that similar?

As for RO, I'm not sure it's practical in the house as I thought you needed pretty much a tap you could devote to it? Also, I'm not sure our water pressure it up to it. I do kinda live in the middle of nowhere. Well, actually it isn't kinda. It is in the middle of nowhere. :) I have 4 tanks on the go atm but the main one is 250 litres and it's just not practical to cart RO water back and forth for changes. For the smaller tanks, especially the shrimpies, we use the filtered water and ofc "tap safe" chemicals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reverse Osmosis units are as little as 30 quid from ebay . They just screw onto a washing machine tap and ready to go. 8mm plastic pipe and fittings are all included. i just let mine drip into a 25l bucket. For every liter of RO you make ,you will waste 4 liters down the sink. Im on a water meter and have 3 shrimp tanks and have not noticed any extra water charge.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i dont use ro water for anything but then again im not dealing with high grade crs either i just have A-S grade crs and a couple neo's. i do use fluval shrimp stratum to bring down the ph for them though. and you can use rain water instead of buying ro water ive done that in the summer just to keep thing low when i didnt feel like doing water changes

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morgan, you're a star! So nice to see someone else from the UK around! :) Will def look into both the RO unit and the Asda water. I didn't think the cheaper ones were worth it but seems they are! Luckily I'm not on a water meter so no worries at all about that, just more about finding space but maybe a splitter from the washing machine would be good. Thanks for all the ideas! <3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts