The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Southern California. I used to keep Red Cherry Shrimps in a 30G tank and they were thriving. I would like to start keeping Crystal Red Shrimps but I'm concerned about the lower temperature requirement.

Has anyone been able to keep them in warmer weather like Southern California?:confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
chiller = $$$
Good chiller = $$$$$$

There are some DIY options running around out there. A quick search should be able to turn up a few.

As long as the room that the tank is in doesn't get too hot, fans should do just fine. They can easily drop the water temp by 4-5 degrees. Just have to make sure to top off every day.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
I live in Southern California. I used to keep Red Cherry Shrimps in a 30G tank and they were thriving. I would like to start keeping Crystal Red Shrimps but I'm concerned about the lower temperature requirement.

Has anyone been able to keep them in warmer weather like Southern California?:confused:
I live in Burbank so I know heat. I have a 2fan version of the Azoo fans on my 17G Mr Aqua. it does a great job at keeping the temps in the low 70s on hot days.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14701

·
Registered
218 Posts
i have had mines for about 3 months now and they lived through the hot weather and the now cold weather in a 5 gallon. temps went as high as 85 in my tank at one time and they were fine. i put a fan on it and removed the lid, temps dropped down a couple degrees.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If ur aquarium(s) are in a smaller room with a window you could get a small air conditioner. I think i got mine at costco for like little over $100. Kept my room at a perfect 72 on hot summer days. I love this set up for multiple tanks so you wouldnt have to buy a fan/chiller for each tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts