The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been researching on crystal red shrimp and all kind of information about them. Heres my question what causes a crystal shrimp to lose its egg and cause it to die beside water conditions, because the major problem with crystal shrimp is that they don't seem to breed as easily.
Whats the best ph level for them to breed, I have aquasoil in my aquarium and press co2 injection which gives me a ph of 6.6.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I have about the same PH as you. Mine reads at 6.5. My water temp is 23c and they seem to breed fine. How much do you feed them and what are you feeding them? Over feeding can kill your CRS because it can cause an amonnia spike. Water change can kill your CRS. I hardly change my water, but when i do it less than 20% and I use Contra Cholrine out. What kind of filter to you use, and what do you have in it? I have those bio cube, and white floss, and im using a Eheim 2213 in my 60cm tank. What size is your tank. I think small tanks are very hard to breed in, but not impossible. I also use an air filter with a big sponge on it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I too believe that clean water is the key to health and breeding when talking about CRS. The parents may sometime breed in suboptimal conditions but the babies will die unless the water is clean. My water has a pH of 6.8 and I keep the temperature below 76*F but most of all I keep the water clean with filtration and water changes.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Yes clean water is key! Cleaning your filter once a month or so is good. What im mean by cleaning is cleaning your hoses and changing you floss, dont mess with the bio stuff, and dont use tap water to clean out you filter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am currently cycling a 10 ( 20" x 10" x 12") gallon aquarium right now with a marineland bio filter 100 and running aquaclear filter on it, planing to add a sponge filter too. I am planing on to buy crystal shrimp just waiting for the tank to be cycled, water temp is 78*f and was planing to buy Shirakura Crystal red shrimp food and red bee shrimp food from aquaticmagic. What do you suggest for filter media?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Shirakura seems to be an ok food I use it and they seem to like it. I also feed them spinach which I boil than freeze and than serve I after I microwave it. Just be sure to wash it well and then boil it for a few minutes. Bloodworms are also good. Just be sure to take out any left over food.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, gabeszone how many time do you feed your crystal shrimp a day? a pinch? and do your crystal shrimp breed like crazy? What problem have you had in the pass with crystal shrimp?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
In the past my problem was with over feeding and amonnia spikes. I feed 1 pellet of shirakura food or 1 big leaf of spinach a day. Now if you have like a 100 CRS you can double it. I sometimes cut a pellet in half and then put one half on each side of the tank so it not just one big dog pile. Remember your shrimp will eat algae.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any advices on taking care of crystal red shrimp would be great! OR lesson to be learn.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Just be ready to lose a few and learn from you mistakes.
If you get good stock you shouldn't loose any. Another thing to remember is you want a very stable tank. I personally wouldn't put any CRS in a tank that hasn't been set up for less than a month, unless the tank is perfect for some reason.

Keep the PH nice and low and the water stable, I think its more important to have a stable tank than a super low PH tank and I think TheTeh has proven that.

I'll be changing my 10g into a CRS tank as well, they're in my 55g atm but the ph is at least 7 in there I think and they are living fine but not breeding...

-Andrew

·
Registered
714 Posts
They aren't hard to keep. I have never had any major problems with CRS, two died last spring when the tap water quality dropped and I didn't know about it. No other weird deaths and I've had hundreds of CRS (I think way over a thousand by now, getting closer to two all the time).

Good water quality (I do 90% water changes once a week, but out tap water is good and pure), good water conditioner in every water change (Prime is good), well cycled tank so there won't be any ammonia/nitrite spikes even if something goes wrong, low enough temperature (in my tanks the temperature has varied from 68 to 77 F), not too high pH if you want lots of offspring (in my tanks it's 6,5-7), varied diet and if you give them fresh food, stay away from anything that might have pesticides.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was reading Rex guide and found a way of making the tank cycled faster by using Bio-Spira. I am going to make some phone call and see if they have around here.

Rain what kind of food are you feeding your CRS?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am feeding them mainly my self made shrimpy biscuits (I like to know exactly what I am feeding my pretties and offer them the best, so that's why making my own food is rewarding) and once in a while New Life Spectrum pellets.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you still making those shrimp biscuits for people? If you are I might be interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts