The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Chirstmas I'm getting a 20g tank, but i have some questions that need to be answered.

For starters what should your gH kH pH and TDS readings be for optimal growth, or breeding.

what filter do you guys use? HOB, Cansiter, sponge?

How many should i start with?

And where can i get any SS grade CRS or possibly S+ or SSS?

Thanks!!!
-Jio

·
Registered
684 Posts
Go with a canister filter and sponge filter, you'll need a prefilter so that your shrimps wont get sucked in. If you are new to CRS don't get SSS. Save your money and stick to A or S for now. Don't learn the hard way by jumping into it fast.

First list out what you are going to do, and get so we know if you're ready or not and so if we can five you some advice. I kinda wish I had someone do this to me when I first started.

keep the PH at around 6-6.5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first of all, i need to get all my equipment , filters heaters and lighting2nd set it up, substrate would be ada amazonia, plants used, java moss, maybe jqva fern, dwarf sag, and rotala rotundfoli (always get it confused with indica :/) after i plqnt need to cycle then after that test my water and add shimp after results turn good.
btw i have a RO system so not woried much about my h2o

also 2 questions, what kind of lighting do you guys use ,pc, cfl, or t5? also what brand heaters do you use.?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
dont use heaters to easy to cook shrimp they like cool temps 65-70 is pretty common for crs. i use cfl bulbs myself they dont seem to put off as much heat as some of the others but i do use smaller tanks than most here

·
Registered
684 Posts
even though it's optional, you should put some mosura old sea mud on the bottom or Borneo wild bacter crystal before you lay down the substrate. It helps with cycling and promotes the good bacteria and better water. Also here's a tip if yo are gonna get both powder and regular Amazonia, put like a 1inch layer of powder first, then cover it with regular, and then top it off with powder, this prolongs the life span of the substrate.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
yah i heard of that before, but where can i get this powder?
Bacteria powder is optional. Especially if you start a tank with aquasoil which will leech ammonia for 4-6 weeks which is enough time to build your bacteria, biofilm, microorganism, etc for your shrimp.

To summarize: 5GH, 0KH, 6.4PH, ~150TDS, 72F.

Filter really depends on your pocket and space available. I use aqueon quite flow 10 on a 10 gallon with 50CRS and still breeding. (Took out the filter floss and dump in 500ml of seachem matrix.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I use a HOB and another HOB hooked up to a half UGF plate for my CRS tanks. HOB's can be fine if you have them around. To go buy 2 new aquaclears, you can get a small canister for that price. If you have some HOB's already, they can be fine, just cover the inputs with foam.

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
I think we have people very successfully keeping and breeding CRS with every type of filtration possible. The only thing I think is a must is a sponge filter, as it oxygenates the water and gives them something to graze on. Canisters are great, but with the low bioload, not a necessity. I really like Randy’s hob set up with the extra basket of filter media under the outflow (just a suction cup shower caddy full of filter media stuck to the tank to break the flow and expand the capacity of the filter).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did not see it directly mentioned yet but make sure you remineralize your ro water to get the GH and TDS right. There are several shrimp specific commercial products available. I use the salty shrimp bee mineral plus. Mosura makes a liquid product among others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts