The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I recently received a number of CRS and they have been happily cursing about the tank for about a month now. I got some wonderful Hino's from greenisgood and some other SS from an aquabid seller. Before the SS from aquabid went in I noticed that one of the CRS looked more black and figured he had lost some color from shipping and was just a bit dull. Anyway, I saw this litter bugger last night and he looked straight, brown... and his eyes, well they are quite red. Ive seen a few posts on Crystal brown's before (obvi a mix of red and black genes) but is this a common or stabalizable trait?

Also how common are bright red eyes on CRS? Anyone else ever see this before?

Ill try to nab a picture tonight when I get home from work .... imo hes an impressive looking little feller.:hihi:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the best picture i can grab, hes still little so he hides a lot. Can anyone veryify that red eyes means snow white/golden linage?

hes way over exposed so ill try and grab some more pics when he comes outa hiding again, but see how he has red eyes and brownish looking markings?

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
None of my goldens have red eyes... and I have actually seen PRLs with red eyes, so I don't think that golden genes play a part in it.

Red eye shrimp are pretty, nothing wrong with them, I personally think they look a lot cooler.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I like him a lot! I'm thinking about attempting to breed him/her and select for the red eye trait out in the future. Anyone else have any experiences with it? Can we confirm it doesn't mean golden linage now? Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also keep a mixed CRS/CBS tank and I've seen both brown shrimp and red eyed shrimp. I'm reasonably sure that my shrimp don't have any golden genes in them so I don't think that is a factor.

In my shrimp the red eyes trait only seems to appear on high-grade CRS. I haven't seen any CBS of any grade with red eyes. I don't know of anyone who's ever tried selecting for the red eye trait, so I can't say if it's stable or not.

As for the brown shrimp, as near as I can tell these are individuals who carry both the red and black genes and should be black, but for some reason the red trait is being partially expressed. It's my belief that it's more environmental than genetic, as their offspring have the normal colors that would be expected of any CBS carrying the recessive red gene.

Right now I have two or three brown shrimp out of a population somewhere between 250-300. One is a very high-grade who is mostly white so it's not obvious, but I've also got a brown S+ grade that shows the color extremely well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, Great picture of the contrast!

My crystal brown is darker and mostly white like you described so it is a bit harder to see the full brown color (looks more black). I've been trying to get a better picture of his red eyes but dam is he shy, barely comes out when all the others are swimming all over the tank!

Any others have any experiences with Crystal browns or red eyed shrimp? Id love to hear about any other experiences with these phenotypes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better pics

So this bugger, grew a bit, molted and is now showing his face a bit more. I was able to snap some better pictures. Figured id share em, lemmi know what ya think!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts