The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I added some Cryptocoryne Wendtii to my Fluval Edge. Almost immediately the leaves began to die and fall off. Now there is no part of the plant that is above the substrate and I think it may be dead. However, I have read here on TPT that crypts will often come back from a die-off. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leave it alone, for now. More than likely its just the common Crypt Melt. 9/10 they return, but it does take a while.
I had hoped that this was the case, but thank you for confirming.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
I started a crypt tank a couple months ago with about 6 varieties. I did a water change with water that was very warm (probably 95-100 degrees) and over the next week most of the crypts in the tank had a massive melt. They've all begun to recover, but it took a couple weeks to see solid new growth.

There are a lot of theories as to why crypts melt. Being replanted is an obvious one, but certain swings in water parameters seem to do it. Personally, I feel that giving them dirty looks is a trigger as well, though I have no hard evidence to prove it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yes, Crypt melt is common. Crypts will melt leaves to adapt to a new environment and lighting. you can avoid crypt melt by moving plants from conditions that are almost identical. But yes, Jason is correct, they will pop back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts