1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Very cool. Aaron....congrats!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Wow very pretty! Much cooler looking than my Crypt flower.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Wow, i wasn't aware crypts flowered!
How moist do you have to keep the soil to grow it out of the water?

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another Pic

Here's a shot of the full setup. I'm using standard 1020 gardening flats with no holes in the bottom. This is covered by a 6.5" high lexan humidity dome. This particular setup has some 3" clay pots and some 3" net pots. I'm using the net pots with coir lining in all of the new plants that I've added since this was setup.

Because these are blackwater Crypts in this setup the pH needs to be about 4.0, the lower the better. The soil is an equal parts mixture of coarse pool filter sand, sphagnum peat moss and silver maple leaf litter. The leaf litter should be old. I went into the woods behind my parent's place and dug underneath the leaf pile from every fall to find the nice black half decayed leaves. Something about the mold therein is key.

The water is pure water. RO, distilled, DI or rainwater would all work well. I mix in about 1/4 of the recommended dose of miracle grow (the regular one). Blackwater Crypts don't like excess nutrients in the water. I mist them about once a week with this same solution from a spray bottle. Lighting is a 2 bulb 4 foot shoplight with Phillips 6,700k daylight bulbs.

The empty pot in the right front was a Crypt that was not blackwater. I tried it anyhow and it promptly melted. ;)

That's about it. It's pretty much set it and forget it. Trim off old leaves every month or two and repot when they spread too much. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Where did you get the domes for that setup? I have a couple similar setups, but with domes that I got a Lowes (or Home Depot...I can't remember). I have had only limited success retaining the humidity with the cheap domes.

BTW, nice setup and congratulations on the flower!

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you get the domes for that setup? I have a couple similar setups, but with domes that I got a Lowes (or Home Depot...I can't remember). I have had only limited success retaining the humidity with the cheap domes.

BTW, nice setup and congratulations on the flower!
I got them from a store in Laurel, MD called Maryland Hydroponics. Look in the phone book for a hydroponics shop. You can also find them online pretty easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.