C. Flaccidifolia 55

L longleaf 1

S. Rayii 1

A. Narrow Leaf

Anubias
A. Pango
A. Petite

updates follow

The distance to the grate from the bottom is about 5.5 inches, I'm planning on drilling holes in the bottom of the containers and having the water an inch or 2 up them.

I'm wondering if I should just put this small koralia power head in the bottom with a heater or this extra small turtle canister filter.

Also my plan for this one is crypts so soil wise what should I use? The other one just has topsoil only in the pots.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
@BDoss1985, nice setup! I'm definitely getting back in the swing of my emersed prop tanks. Sadly I don't have old pics of the original ones. You definitely won't need the tops on those tupperware's with your setup, if anything you will need some vent holes for gas exchange and for thermal regulation. I'd highly recommend putting a heat source in with the plants as it will assist in growth and give consistent water temps through night and day. As for the koralia or canister, don't waste them. A cheapo powerhead will do the trick, but you really don't need it. If anything just do water changes once a month and get out the stagnant water.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Tihsho I got some vigor... Organic potting soil. My home depot doesn't carry the miracle grow kind. Got it all setup last night 100 a heater and all going. I have a hydro meter and thermometer coming in today. What should I keep the humidity and temp at?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do you plan to drill holes in the side of the containers to let the air flow through them? I'm planning on making an emersed setup much like yours.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gauge came in, it's Velcro'd to a piece of cpvc right in the middle this is what it reads after an hour

Added today,
Cryptocoryne zukalii
Cryptocoryne Dewitii PNG
Cryptocoryne Matakensis Brown

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You might want to turn down the heater then. Fluorescent tubes kick out a lot of heat in confined containers. I wouldn't be surprised to see your temps in the high 80's low 90's in your setup if there are no vents. My setup (half 10 gallon) is lighted by 4 25W CFL's and the heating pad is set to 75. When I get home from work I see temps that are up to 82 degrees F due to the lighting bringing up the tank temps. Also, I have a 1/8th inch grap at one end of the glass I'm using on top for venting purposes. Without that gap I had temps (when I first did this years back) running up to 89 degrees F.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Light has been on since 9am 230 now and I'm getting right at 81, I'm thinking the window ac above the setup is keeping it cooler... Gonna have to check tonight and make sure it's not too cool at lights out.

Btw the humidity look ok or do you think I should add a small closable vent?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts