The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is an awesome tank! I love the length, would love to work with dimensions like that :D I agree about the two different colour woods being a problem - do you have an alternative?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love the look of the left side, but the right side still needs some work. I would try adding a Crypt or two to the mid-ground of the right side, and some Java Fern varieties towards the back and the right wall. Maybe stick to windelov, phillipine, and trident java ferns as they tend to grow lower, and your tank isn't that tall. That should give you a nice contrast and help you get that darker color you're looking for.

Personally, I love Buces; I think they're beautiful. They're also relatively easy to keep. But most of them are really small, and they're all such slow growers that I don't think you'll achieve much of a visual impact with them, even in a 12g. They definitely won't hurt, but also with all their color and leaf variation, they may not fit in aesthetically, you know? Also, if you are going to use them, they grow best attached to a lava rock, or at least some kind of stone. I noticed that it looks like you didn't tie them down, but maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, especially considering their price, it's probably just not worth it to use Buces for this scape. If you decide to take them out, you can always sell them, or better yet, grow them emersed. After all, you're going to be deconstructing several tanks so you'll have some space and lighting already, and pots and dirt are cheap.

Just my .02

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm thinking of replacing the branchwod. Just hope I can find the right pieces. The color is throwing things off. I'l just use it for another tank.

Still waiting on my background plants to fill in so I won't make dramatic changes just yet. I do like the left side but I'm wondering if my stem plants will throw it off. And I do like the idea of adding darker green plants for a better contrast.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Update: Got new branchwood today (current branchwood in tank wil be going into one of my eheim aquastyles , which will be displayed at my work place. The branchwood is just not working in this scape). Will let these soak and tie moss to them within the week. I think my scape is missing more repition to tie both left and right sides. The moss on branches should help me achieve a better scape (at least that's what I hope).

Bought some fishes. Decided to go with a German Blue Ram (bottom right coner in pic below) and added more ember tetras.the ember tetras color contrast with the gren plants is awesome. They school a little better with the black background gone. Also, I was hoping the Ram would get them to school better as well.

Current stocklist: 27 ember tetras, 1 R.Maculata, 3 phantom tetras, 5 otocinclus, 1 German blue ram, 1 SAE, and 1 Betta.

The embers. In the background, I made a smaller version of the Hofer gurgle buster using 3/4 ths PVC pipe instead. Could be tuned to silent but I like a little water noise coming from my tanks overflow system.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wow that's a lot of fish for a 12 gallon, but I guess there are a lot of plants.
The HC carpet is looking really fabulous, so nicely filled in.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Well, he does run a sump and that adds a few more gallons to the total system, I am guessing 10-20g depending on model.

Looking good, hopefully you can get rid of that algae.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Wow that's a lot of fish for a 12 gallon, but I guess there are a lot of plants.
The HC carpet is looking really fabulous, so nicely filled in.
I'm thinking with the wet/dry sump (about 8 gals extra water) and plants, I can have a huge bioload. The funny part is that the tank doesn't look close to being overcrowded. Another reason I love this 12 gal long tank.

HC is an awesome plant, but high maintenance. I like tweaking my tank often so its all good. Gotta trim it soon, growing fast in this setup.

This german blue ram is now my favorite fish. Great character and colors. Can't wait for him/her to get older and display its full colors. Might even try to pair this fish later on.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Rescaped with new branchwood. Should turn the same dark color in time as the left side. I think this scape "jives" better then my last layout and hopefully will look better when scape filled out and branch wood "ages" a bit submersed. I tried to add a little bit more repitition added with moss tied to branches on right side.

Before:

After:

Moved erio from front to back, s. repens also in back. Moved D. Diandra to far right corner. Putting my buces front and center of branchwood for unobstructed viewing.

Before:

After:

Still tweaking scape as most people do with their tanks. Adding pebbles here and there, playing with plant placement, and watching growth pattern of plants. The big thing I can't seem to incorporate is depth. Been researching this topic lately. Maybe my substrate slope is too small, I need a black background, and/or a few other things. Of course, this is a tricky tank to create depth. Just can't leave my tank alone....lol.

And finally, a favorite viewing angle of mine. Looking at the left side of tank. Now that's depth.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I like that new piece of wood. Buce look great on it. :)

Is that ricca in the side view?
It is ricca, intertwined on e.belem to make it stay on the ground.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks great :)

I think it lacks a bit of Flow from left to right, After the wood on the left it just sorta cuts off. Maybe a plant grouping sloping down would improve this.

I think H. Pinnitifida is deffinately an option!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You use the glass Jet pipe as the return pipe from the sump? I was thinking of doing something like that, a P-6 though for a larger tank. What size eheim is that? Did you use soft tubing to connect the pipe and what size? 13mm / 1/2 inch ID?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Looks great :)

I think it lacks a bit of Flow from left to right, After the wood on the left it just sorta cuts off. Maybe a plant grouping sloping down would improve this.

I think H. Pinnitifida is deffinately an option!
Stunning!
I hear you. I was trying to create that flow with the pile of river rocks instead of plants. Still trying to do that but I think I need to pile the rocks a little higher.

On a negative note, my mini pelia is apparently melting. It didn't like something in my water. It was just starting to look lush too after starting small and growing for the past 6 months on that branch. Also starting to get what I think is BBA and currently contemplating spot treatment with h.peroxide.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
You use the glass Jet pipe as the return pipe from the sump? I was thinking of doing something like that, a P-6 though for a larger tank. What size eheim is that? Did you use soft tubing to connect the pipe and what size? 13mm / 1/2 inch ID?
Yes. P-2. Very snug fit on what is supposedly 5 mm glass. Tubing size 13m/ or 1/2 ID is correct. Connected to my eheim pump 1048.

I haven't had the time to make my detailed equipment list in this journal but I eventually will.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts