21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did you go with the finnex?

Subscribed :)
yes. the ray 2 ds, 7k/7k lights.

x2. I like it way better than my hanging setups I made from conduit.
the hangers are okay. not as slick as ada pipes and wires but it will do for now.

subscribed. looking forward to this!
its a fun hobby and this is my most extravagent project yet. good times.

That is pretty cool, :icon_wink you selling any of your other tanks? :biggrin:
just breaking the tanks down and storing them away. been trying to sell a few locally, otherwise i got other projects in mind in the future.

nice hanging method! Is the water pretty hard? will you remineralize? or do a tap blend?
i wanted to have full control of water parameters. just adding GLA gh
booster and doing ei dosing and it has been working pretty good on my mini m tank.

My friend just bought that same RO/DI unit. He's a reefer in Mililani and tired of driving to sand island for water. Great looking set up!
cool..... the vids really sold me. sometimes its all about the advertising. i was also thinking i might do reefing one day so might as well start getting used to making my own water now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
if your doing e.i dosing with your ro/di make sure you add a bit more mgs04 and potassium. I found with straight ro that i was still lacking these 2 with the gh booster, probably not as big of an issue with lower light though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
if your doing e.i dosing with your ro/di make sure you add a bit more mgs04 and potassium. I found with straight ro that i was still lacking these 2 with the gh booster, probably not as big of an issue with lower light though.
That's good to know. What dose of those ferts (dry fert nano measurement, i.e. dash, pinch, drop/ or 1/4 tsp, etc.) would you estimate/ recommend for a 10 gal tank?

And what would be noticeble in my tank from this deficiency overtime?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Long day. Tranplanted plants, did plumbing broke down two tanks, made this 12 gal and a simple shrimp tank (check my aquastlye last post). Hard work but fun at the same time.

Used pebbles to way down hc carpets.

Scape 75% complete. Waiting on buces frm PNT member I just purchased. Gonna play around with adding a little bit more river rocks.

Tried to use the rule of thirds (can u see my red lines?). Focal point being my tallest branchwood and my erio on the right.

Critiques welcomed. Going to be a work in progress but I love the layout so far. I just hope my branchwoods on the right color up to be more brown/ wethered to match the left side. I bleached them a while ago, hope its not permanently "white" looking..... stupid me. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Im a big fan of this stuff as a background, if you dont like it you can always peel it off, i agree with the black background to make the overflow less obtrusive. or relocate it to the far end of the tank.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_234077-7413...t&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=window+tint&facetInfo=

You might look into trying to seal up the intake side of the wet/dry as best you can. this will keep the tank from degassing the c02. If you want to hide the c02 diffuser, stick it in front of the intake on your sump pump, this will pump all the micro bubbles into the tank still, and give them a lot more turbulence in the water to dissolve more efficiently.

The scape came out great btw!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That looks great! I prefer the clear background look. ;)

Is that a aqueon sump? Did you find that at a store?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
sweet layout!
Sweet work. Time to add a black or white background.
Looks awesome! can't wait to see it grow in :)

I agree with Mark on adding a background. A black background will make that black box go away.
That looks great! I prefer the clear background look. ;)

Is that a aqueon sump? Did you find that at a store?
Thanks for the compliments everyone and for checking out my tank. I'm Loving this tank.

I actually prefer no background but I will experiment with it later on when I practice photographing this tank.

It is the aqueon sump, model 1. Got it from amazon. I actually like looking at it and showing it off so I bought this instead of building my own. Pricey but cool and gives me the option to convert it to a refugium if I ever go reefing. I'm still working on quieting the overflow.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Im a big fan of this stuff as a background, if you dont like it you can always peel it off, i agree with the black background to make the overflow less obtrusive. or relocate it to the far end of the tank.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_234077-7413...t&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=window+tint&facetInfo=

You might look into trying to seal up the intake side of the wet/dry as best you can. this will keep the tank from degassing the c02. If you want to hide the c02 diffuser, stick it in front of the intake on your sump pump, this will pump all the micro bubbles into the tank still, and give them a lot more turbulence in the water to dissolve more efficiently.

The scape came out great btw!
Thanks. I'll check out my local lowes for that stuff. I was even thinking of frosted which I think they sell as well.

I'm not to worried about the co2. I got the two diffusers in tank, and a gla atomic inline diffuser as well. Plants pearling and looking good so far.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey,

I like the equipment set up. But IMO, it looks like you might be running into the same issue about the scape that I have. The tank is so long that it's hard keep the left and rightside hardscape consistant while still complementing each other.

I really like the left hand side. Perfect wood, plants, and a good transition to the right using the stones in the back(The stones remind me of a Heiau). Then you get to the rightside... I'm just not feeling that driftwood. The angles are unnatural to me and I would find another piece or just take it out and move the leftside over to the right a little.

This is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Kai

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey,

I like the equipment set up. But IMO, it looks like you might be running into the same issue about the scape that I have. The tank is so long that it's hard keep the left and rightside hardscape consistant while still complementing each other.

I really like the left hand side. Perfect wood, plants, and a good transition to the right using the stones in the back(The stones remind me of a Heiau). Then you get to the rightside... I'm just not feeling that driftwood. The angles are unnatural to me and I would find another piece or just take it out and move the leftside over to the right a little.

This is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Kai
Staring at my tank this evening and was thinking the same thing. I'm a bit torn cause I like the look of the right sided branchwood pieces individually. It also doesnt help that the wood is a different color. I think I over bleached them and may rubbed off all the bark or something.

I still want to try and make the wood work tho, and I'm going to wait til my rear stem plants fill in before I make any huge adjustments. Details of plant layout to follow.

Thanks for the critique.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just phone pics. Wanted to see if I like a black background (temporary test using black construction paper). My fishes do.... me not so much only because the CO2 micro bubbles are SO MUCH more visible. The trade off is the sump overflow box is barely visible.

Dealing with hair algae like I was with my other tanks.

Added fishes: 5 otocinclus, 1 SAE, 15 ember tetras, 3 black phantom tetras, 1 rasboa maculata (lone survivor from old fluval edge tank). Might add more later on......

Trying to incorporate buces into aquascape little tricky for me right now.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts