The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My crypt hasn't been too happy since it has been in my tank. My tank is co2, 15g with 52w, eco-complete like subtrate and fertilizer balls need its roots.
Anyways check out the picture, it is growing a bit but it doesn't look happy (imo) and could you tell me what could be causing the leafs to have holes.... There are lots of snails

Killi,

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Do you have snails that are known to eat plants in your tank? In most cases when you see holes in the leaves it is a potassium problem, but if you are using root tabs and eco complete that should be to much of a problem. Are you dosing potassium in the water column to? How old is the Eco-Complete and how long has it been since you have put a root tabs next to the plant? Also what type of substrate is it you said eco-complete "like"?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
How long have you had that crypt in your tank? The leaves with holes in them look like emersed form, and may be dying off as the plant converts to submersed form.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The aquarium is rather new around 2 months. The crypt from the start didn't look happy (One month in I changed the lighting from 26w to 52w) I then added a fert ball from JBL (7 balls pack). The ball has been in for a 20days. The subtrate was bought in France it is Dekoline Ferti-soil. I have no idea what snails I have they came with the plants and look pretty comon, I don't see them much on the crypt, maybe there are snails that are tiny. I am not dosing potassium. I also dose Dennerle V30 weekly.

Thanks a lot for the answers guys :)

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Some of the salt substitutes, like No Salt, are potassium chloride. You can get this from the grocery to dose salt.
http://www.fitsugar.com/884333

We commonly use KNO3, K2SO4, GH Booster or Seachem's Equilibrium for dosing K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks Left C i'll check if I can find that in France, how would I dose a 15g? Continously with the salt? Or at each water change

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Just so you know, crypts are primarily root feeders, so fertilizing the water column doesn't do much for them. It's definitely not a bad thing, but I don't think it's too beneficial for crypts.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
It looks like the new leaves are coming in brownish? Are there lots of holes in those, or just the bright green ones you pictured? If they're only in the green ones, that's just because it's converting to submersed form and all the old leaves are dying off. It's completely normal for that to happen, just give it a couple weeks and it should be fully converted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the new leave are coming in brownish. The bright green ones are the ones with most of the holes. The green leaves are dying off too.

Thanks for the great info,

·
Registered
143 Posts
The aquarium is rather new around 2 months. The crypt from the start didn't look happy (One month in I changed the lighting from 26w to 52w) I then added a fert ball from JBL (7 balls pack). The ball has been in for a 20days. The subtrate was bought in France it is Dekoline Ferti-soil. I have no idea what snails I have they came with the plants and look pretty comon, I don't see them much on the crypt, maybe there are snails that are tiny. I am not dosing potassium. I also dose Dennerle V30 weekly.

Thanks a lot for the answers guys :)
These two changes could very well have triggered the infamous 'crypt melt'. As long as you leave them alone, they will eventually come back--if it is crypt melt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts