The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering where I can get more of these. I had about 4 plants, but only one survived and the one that is growing now is huge! I've only had it for about 3 months. I do want to get more, but don't know which site would be the safest. The site that I ordered a plant package from gave me snail eggs and my tank got infested for a long time. I'm trying to avoid that situation as much as I can. (I know, I know, probably should have thoroughly cleaned off my plants...) Anyone know a good site?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I always order plants from Han Tran at hanaquatics.com. Plants always arrived healthy. Plus he's on facebook and quick to respond.

Bump: Thomas Bartlett from liquidcreations.net is always good. If these guys don't have the plants in stock I will buy from the For sale section on this site, or post a "Want to buy" thread in the WTB section of this site.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always order plants from Han Tran at hanaquatics.com. Plants always arrived healthy. Plus he's on facebook and quick to respond.

Bump: Thomas Bartlett from liquidcreations.net is always good. If these guys don't have the plants in stock I will buy from the For sale section on this site, or post a "Want to buy" thread in the WTB section of this site.

Thanks for your help, are they pest free or should I take the extra step to just thoroughly rinse the plants just in case? Also, I don't have facebook so I wouldn't be able to contact him through that, but I'll check out their sites!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a bit of advice that actually works. I know it's hard not to immediately unpack your plants and get them into the substrate, but . . . Warning Will Robinson! Unpack you plants -- all plants -- especially those from the LFS and dump them into a big plastic bucket of two or 3 gallons of treated water with the addition of a tablespoon per gallon of alum. You can find alum in the spice rack at the grocery or at your LFS. Let the plants soak over night (24 hours). Rinse thoroughly, soaking them in several changes of clean treated water. Then plant. If the plants are good healthy stock they will easily survive and any members of the mollusk family will not. Snail-free plants.

As for the crypt wenditii, I keep seeing many crypts identified as wenditii, but they range from lush green to dark bronze and deep brown/red. I ordered 10 (minimum quantity) with a large order of other plants from azgardens.com. They varied in size but were the size of amazon swords with thick, healthy roots. They were described everywhere I researched as "A good foreground plant." Actually, they're better as mid ground plants. And after four months not only are they flourishing but they compete in size and attention in front of two prize swords I'll have to move. And the swords are not small plants. Still, I'm content. Better to have healthy plants and not complaining than wasting money on plants that fail. They are stunning.

There are several sizes of this same variety of wenditii. It may be worth a call to the business you plan to order from and make sure of what you are getting. Good luck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for your help, are they pest free or should I take the extra step to just thoroughly rinse the plants just in case? Also, I don't have facebook so I wouldn't be able to contact him through that, but I'll check out their sites!!
Unless you get tissue cultured plants from them no, sometimes I recieve ramshorn snails from them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm assuming this is the wenditii bronze? This was the only plant that survived out of the 4 that I had. The rest melted away and never came back. I think it rotted in the soil..

Edit: I did also order some tissue culture s. repens from Amazon. Looking forward to growing out a carpet in front of the tank. I do want to add more crypt wenditii over time. I love the color of the bronze.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Aren't Crypts happier in finer grained substrates? I'd venture that your gravel is a bit on the heavier grain size. The only time I had Crypts do really well was with washed builders sand mixed with what is known locally as Turkey grit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aren't Crypts happier in finer grained substrates? I'd venture that your gravel is a bit on the heavier grain size. The only time I had Crypts do really well was with washed builders sand mixed with what is known locally as Turkey grit.
Honestly, I wouldn't know. I'm still new to this whole planted tank thing. I have one crypt shown in the picture that is actually doing way better in my aqua soil over my gravel. When first got it the plant only had 4 leaves on it. That was 4 months ago. I don't see why it wouldn't do well in aqua soil normal type.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't know. I'm still new to this whole planted tank thing. I have one crypt shown in the picture that is actually doing way better in my aqua soil over my gravel. When first got it the plant only had 4 leaves on it. That was 4 months ago. I don't see why it wouldn't do well in aqua soil normal type.
There's this thread from back in 2014 by rajah_22 about a no-fish ( only snails.) 15 gallon tank he did

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/551034-new-cryptocoryne-tank.html

. He used worm castings, dry red clay, dolomite, and Potassium Sulfate as amendments with builder's sand as an overcap. You're probably not wanting to hear about having to tear your already running tank down, I'd be a bit loathe to do it myself. But you can't disagree with his success, for an all-Crypts tank it's brilliant. It's a relative small tank too.

Crypts take much patience.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's this thread from back in 2014 by rajah_22 about a no-fish ( only snails.) 15 gallon tank he did

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/551034-new-cryptocoryne-tank.html

. He used worm castings, dry red clay, dolomite, and Potassium Sulfate as amendments with builder's sand as an overcap. You're probably not wanting to hear about having to tear your already running tank down, I'd be a bit loathe to do it myself. But you can't disagree with his success, for an all-Crypts tank it's brilliant. It's a relative small tank too.

Crypts take much patience.
That's a really good set up for a crypt only tank. Haha. Yeah I noticed patience is key for all the plants that I have. I definitely would like to add some more. But I want to get my foreground carpet in next before I add more crypts to see how much more room I have.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just bought a wenditt pot from peabodysparadise.com and it came with about 10 or so smaller plants, about 6 inches. I was very happy with the order. He's a member on fishlore.com and goes by the username jetajockey. All the plants I got were potted and snail free, and very healthy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a wenditt pot from peabodysparadise.com and it came with about 10 or so smaller plants, about 6 inches. I was very happy with the order. He's a member on fishlore.com and goes by the username jetajockey. All the plants I got were potted and snail free, and very healthy.
Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely message him on fish lore!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.