The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i planted in some new crpyt wendtii and have noticed something odd. the old leaves are the nice dark green reddish color but my new growth is light green with red veins. does anyone know what happened?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
What Mr.G says is it. The light and nutrients available in your tank determine how the new growth looks. If there's new growth though that's winning as your not losing the plant :proud:

·
Registered
483 Posts
They can be strange growing plants and from what I understand hard to even ID, as they grow very different In one tank or another and even in the same tank from one day to the next.
The plant pictured below will grow new bronze colored leafs one day and the next one will be green and the next is yet another variant. All under the same conditions.
md

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I have also observed that new leaves on crypts tend to be lighter green as they develop. The leaves on most of the variously brown or red-colored crypts only develop those darker colorations when they reach full size.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
forgot to mention all the crypts I sent I think were bronze in color from my injected tank.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have also observed that new leaves on crypts tend to be lighter green as they develop. The leaves on most of the variously brown or red-colored crypts only develop those darker colorations when they reach full size.
In general I also found this to be normal!
In the case of the above pictured plant I often wondered if it was so sensitive that new growth was based on what it found in the substrate and water column that day or week! "much like mrgreen stated"

I need to take some close up pics!
This plant will shoot out a new big bronze colored leaf and the one right after will be a small green one. Some will be fat, some are thin, still others have rifted edges and others have smooth edges. I have often wondered at times if this plant was a mix of 2 or 3 different types of crypts when it was purchased.
I dont complain much, as it does grow well "slow" and keeps me guessing what its up to!
md

1 - 7 of 7 Posts