The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a package of plants in the mail today of crypts and anubias. All of them arrived in good condition except C. retrospiralis. The leaves are soft, brown and disintegrating. Is there a chance that the plant will make a comeback if I plant the roots?

Also - this will be the first planting of a new tank. Some of my plants have arrived, with the others set to arrive tomorrow. Should I put a small amount of water in my tank to cover the substrate and plant the ones that I already received immediately - and then cover the tank with saran wrap to wait for the rest tomorrow before flooding the tank? Or will the the plants be OK as they are now (moist paper towels around roots) for a day or two?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The crypts will recover if the rhizomes are still intact.

You can wait for your other plants to arrive. A few extra days wouldn't hurt if they are hardy stuff like anubias and crypts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Crypts are famously tempermental. I once had a wentii that was established in my tank for about a year. I rescaped and moved it about 3 or 4 inches to the side in the same tank. It melted :icon_roll. Took a few weeks to recover and once it did, it was fine. Just plant the roots and it will re-grow.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. The rhizomes aren't mushy. I removed the dead leaves and will plant them tomorrow. Hopefully they pull through - as it looks like a very cool plant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts