The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
It's been awhile since I've been on here. I'm still keeping fish/aquariums, but went into the maintain only mode for a couple of years, but I think I got my enthusiasm back and (hopefully) am soon getting my dream fish (fingers crossed)
The questions
1. how long will crypts last in a bucket of water? I am thinning a jungle, and hope to sell some of them. Would using aquarium water help their chances? A drop or two of aquarium plant food?
2. What would be a fair price to ask? Their pedigree is excellent, the original plants came from a high end freshwater aquarium store in San Diego gosh 10? years ago, and of course these are the children. They were here at a huge Pet Supply convention, and had a very large, planted tank set up to demo some of the earlier programmable LED remote lighting systems. (The thunderstorms with sound and sunrise/sets with reddish sky and all were a sight). When the trade show was finished and they tore the tanks down, they gave away a ton of plants to several people rather than taking them back to SD. However, I do not know what particular type of crypts they are, other than a reddish tall, a green wavy edged tall, and a short with longer stems than leaf. They have also been growing in a low tech tank, and are acclimated to the liquid rock we call water here. No shipping, just local pick-up. I used to sell them for store credit at an LFS, but sadly the business didn't survive the shutdown.
Thanks!
Photo I took last night. There is a tree with moss on it and a rock pile with anubias in there somewhere, lol.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Personally I would get a 5 gallon pail; put a little substrate in it and get one of those $20 floodlight on amazon and set it on the pail; plants will grow fine in the pail until you sell them ;) Then you can keep them in the pail as long as you want until you sell them. The biggest problem I have with plants I pull from my tank and stuff into a pail is that after a week or so they begin to suffer from lack of light.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You could look at the different places online that sell aquarium plants and see what they sell for. I can't give the stuff away locally and wind up throwing it out even with 2 colleges nearby.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I looked up prices on buce, and they were all over the map. I sold them at 4 large for $10, and threw in a couple of babies. Sold 3 batches immediately, only posted them on local FB aquarium group. The rest got composted after a week, they started looking weedy. Fortunately, both buyers understood crypt melt (they hadn't, but we know it could happen after replanting) Actually, planting them in a bucket isn't a bad idea! Room is an issue, but food for thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts