The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have just under 3wpg, it is in Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil. I dose Flourish 2x a week, Excel every other day. pH 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0-10. I also gave some pottasium last weekend.

The leaves of my crypts and some of my HP have turned brown and as you can see are shrivelling up. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Note: The plants up front have only been in the tank for a few days, so for the sake of this they can be ignored.

Thanks
Sean

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
based on your lighting you need to be dosing nitrogen and phosphorous along with the flourish and potassium. crypts are root feeders and would probably do better for you if they get some nutrients through the substrate. root tabs would help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be going to PMDD on Monday, so that should hopefully help. The SAPS should have quite a few nutrients available for the plants

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
I will be going to PMDD on Monday, so that should hopefully help. The SAPS should have quite a few nutrients available for the plants
PMDD is quite an outdated method of dosing; it (falsely) believes that an excess of phosphate causes algae, and thus does not include any form of phosphates in the dosing regime.

Phosphates must be dosed in addition to the other macronutrients! I recommend you take a look at Tom Barr's EI dosing method.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of curiosity, should I expect to see the leaves come back to green, or will I have to prune them off, and wait for new growth?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Crypts will survive 'melting' like that pretty well. Just wait for new leaves to grow back in, and you can cut off the old ones if you like.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only other thing I could think about could be my water conditioner. I have been using Tetra Aqua Aqua Safe. Could this be a problem? It says it neutralizes copper, zinc and iron. Does this means it binds them, making them unavailable to the plants? If this is the case then this might be a bit of a problem.

What does everyone else use?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts