The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a few Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia in one of the tanks I care for. I've never cared for Crypts before and so far they've been wonderful, however this particular species is struggling. I'm including a photo.
I haven't tested water parameters in a while but they should be something like 7dkh, 10dgh, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10ppm.
I haven't dosed the column in this tank because I am needing to make it as low-maintenance as possible. The dwarf sag, and the bronze leaved crypts are doing great, so are the anubias. I'm seeing no problems with any other plant in the tank except that the oldest leaves on the Ozellote sword tend to fade in color over time.

Does this crypt require water column fertilization? I know it's recommended for most, but in this low tech tank everything is doing fine with nothing but monthly WCs.

Here's the crypt:
View attachment 589026

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
These were heavy feeders for me. My journal for the 100 gallon tank mentions they perked up once I upped the NPK+GH+M as the rejuvenated tank attained half fullness. Maybe a root tab, maybe some GH booster or just magnesium in change water?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is the case then I'll need to pull them and put them in my own personal tank where I dose per Tom Barr's non-CO2 method.

I was just hoping to get pretty good evidence they required water column dosing before doing so. Sounds like they do.

If anyone else agrees with your experience I'll relocate them. Any other crypts that do well without much water column dosing? I'll want to fill the gaps they leave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.