The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I want to attempt a carpet for my 10 gallon tank. I am dosing very few ferts (just some Flourish really), and do not have CO2. I would assume I have medium light (I have a Finnex Fugeray 16, but just ordered a 20" to replace it).

My question is, would you try a carpet? If so with Crypt Parva or Pygmy Chain Sword? If not, what foreground plants would you recommend? Here is my tank...

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
parva would take FOREVER to fill in a "carpet", even under the BEST of conditions.

Just a thought.:proud:
Yeah the crypt parva takes forever to grow. Easy to manage carpeting plants are glossostigma and Dwarf pennywort. The neat thing about these plants is you can pull the rhizome cleanly out of the substrate to keep it trimmed or organized at the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I looked at my aquarium log and realized it took about a year to fill the front og my 2 feet cube where glosso took about 2 months in the same area

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I've got a C. parva carpet growing in my 20L. I'm approaching two months since I planted it. The plants that completely melted have been the slowest growers, having just recently begun to put out new leaves. The rest of the parva has done much better with some plants having two-four new leaves. It is definitely a slow grower, but I love the look of it! As Jake suggested you could easily pick up ten or more pots for $4 or less each and have a instacarpet, even with melting!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
parva is by far my fave and i plan to get quite a bit more of it once i get setteled and tanks back. ive had both pygmy chain and parva and like the looks of parva better. and man can it get a root system on it

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yup, parva looks best. In my 5 gallon low light tank it grows around a leaf every 2 months. I just cram a lot of them to produce a carpet. It is also low maintenance. :)

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Your tank is really too small for chain sword, I think.

But since it IS so small, you could pick up 5-6 pots of C. parva and fill in the front area. Heck, you could get 10 pots at $4 or less per pot and make a nice-looking carpet.
This is what I did in my Fluval Ebi. I bought a boat load of C. parva and created an instant carpet. C. parva is one of my favorite foreground plants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts