The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after crypts have recovered from melting and are showing new growth, is it safe to move them around or rescape? Does that mean they're like, completely acclimated to the tank and will be okay if moved, or should be left alone and will melt again?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think a part of the melting is that they don’t like people messing with the root. So I think you need to be a bit gentle. I move them about my tanks all the time. Sometimes they melt a bit but they come back quickly.
Which crypts do you have?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I completely melted my Crypts after a thermometer malfunction last year. After they started to grow back, they didn't appreciate being moved around. Took a few months before they really started to take off again.

The other issue I had with Crypt melt was, the plants that melted were really big. Once the massive clumps of roots they left behind started to decompose, they caused me all kinds of algae trouble. Had to go in there and rip out all the old roots.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been keeping Wendtii Bronze.

When I planted them I had trimmed the roots down quite a bit so they'd be easier to plant. I was thinking of maybe adding Dwarf Sag so that's why I was curious, as I just started having success with my crypts, and if I got the Sag I'd have to move them around a bit

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Crypt's are said not to like being moved about ,and I would leave them be until they were a few month's along but that's just me.
Moving plant's about was the biggest detriment I expierienced when I first began keeping/caring for plant's in earnest.
I then read up on their growth characteristic's, and tried to place them in right place so that I could truly begin studying their growth without fear of taller plant's shading smaller ones,or plant's like val's from overtaking area's where they were not wanted.
Plant's for me do way better now than when I was yanking them up and moving them on weekly,monthly basis.
With exception of val's, which I still remove young portion's of to keep them in check,Most all of my plant's remain seated in same place as a year ago.
Some folk's change scapes frequently, but it is more work than I care for and makes a right mess of thing's in my soil capped tank's, so I just let em do what they do,and trim em when they begin to grow out of the tank.
Are low tech tank's, so growth is not too fast but they are thriving, which pleases me ,and the fishies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.