The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all!

Quick question on Crypt Melt. I have a Wendtii Red and 2 Parvas that were planted ~3 weeks ago in my no tech 10g. Lighting is 15w T-8 8000k. Wendtii melted into a puddle within 3 days and only a small wisp of stem is visible above the substrate (Eco complete). The 2 Parvas haven't melted as much as the Wendtii, but the leaves went from healthy and green to grey ghost leaves over about a week.

The UPS shipment was held up 2 days by a blizzard, so I'm not sure if the plants were frozen and are now dead, or if this is just regular crypt melt. If this is regular crypt melt, how long does it normally take for them to start growing back?

Any input would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Most crypts bought from an online retailer were grown emersed and will melt once submersed. You have a low tech tank so new growth may take a while especially with the parvas.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd just leave them alone and let them grow back whenever they're good and ready. Plant around them with additional plants if you need to, but I suspect eventually they'll grow back in, as long as they weren't frozen during transport. And there's no way to know for sure about that one...

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I've had crypts melt and show no signs of life for 2 months. Sometimes, all they need is a period of no growth so they can store up nutrients for a growth spurt. Give em time, most likely they'll come back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.