The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a green crypt from a LFS about 3-4 weeks ago and since it's been introduced into my tank, some of the older leaves have begun curling on the edges but the new leaves look good but are coming out brown/red with reddish veins running down the middle.

Is this a sign of a particular nutrient overload?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It is likely that it was grown emersed and is reverting to submerged form. The old leaves will die off and the new leaves will look different as you have noticed. It may also just be different growing conditions, old crypt leaves often melt when the plant is moved.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i donno my crypt wendetti green changed coulors many times it was pure green, green with redish veins, completly red, red with greenish veins, and back to green.

·
Registered
711 Posts
new plants off of my red/bronze c. wendtii start off green, then turn red/bronze/olive green as the plant matures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Several months ago I bought a "green crypt wendtii" for my 6-gallon tank. The plant was tiny, about 2" long, and well formed, like a small bok choi, very pretty. I planted it in a ceramic container to cage in the roots (but kept root crown above the gravel). It has not only been changing leaf color, to a rusty red, but its about 2.5x bigger than it was when I first planted it is, so I know it's sure not in its death throws! It gets a little fertilizer, some provided by me, the rest by the fish and the snails. I wish it had stayed all green with white stems, but it is still quite interesting and my fish seem to appreciate it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the green looks really nice but only when all the leaves are clean and nice. I guess it'll look better when all the leaves turn red...hopefully that happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts