The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got these at an estate sale. Any ideas on IDs? I think they’re crypts but I’m not nearly as familiar with aquatic plants as I am with terrestial…
Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Ingredient Fines herbes

Once these are identified, how do I keep them alive? They’re meant for a 20G blackwater tank that I don’t have right now, but I could stick them in my paludarium which is cycled, mature and low pH, until the other tank is ready. Unfortunately the tank they were in was covered in small snails, so should I do an alum soak? Even with the alum soak, should I quarantine them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anubias and sword plant on the left, two on the right are crypts. The anubias can be tied or glued to hardscape, the rhizome needs to be kept above the substrate or it will rot. The other three can be planted and are heavy root feeders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anubias and sword plant on the left, two on the right are crypts. The anubias can be tied or glued to hardscape, the rhizome needs to be kept above the substrate or it will rot. The other three can be planted and are heavy root feeders.
Any idea which species? I was hoping the thing that is apparently a sword plant was Cryptocryne cordata, which is the species I'm looking for for my Malaysian biotope...oh well.

Is the Anubias possibly Nana? I'd say it's about 3" tall right now, and if it's gonna stay about that size I'll put it in my paludarium.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The little leaves scattered about are duckweed. If you get it in your tank it's tuff to get out. Probably easier to deal with the snails than duckweed.
Yes, the tanks the plants came from had a lot of duck weed. I'm leaning toward quarantining until my blackwater tank is ready, so I'll remove any that doesn't get rinsed off as I find it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The sword plant looks like some sort of melon - there are a few of them. The anubia looks like barteri the crypt not sure but seen it before. The last plant - the one on the far right looks like an apongeton - maybe longiploumulosus but there are 5 or 6 that are similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts