The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the ID Roy.

Must have been an unintended extra, since the only Crypt I've purchased in recent memory was Nurii and Lucens. I saw something really tiny growing a few months ago and now 4 of these have popped up.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi houseofcards,

Sometimes it seems it that just a small piece of healthy rhizome with a bud will develop into a plant; could have been a hitchhiker.

BTW all the plants you sent me are doing well, even the two small Ranunculus inundatus have several new leaves on each plant. Currently growing all of them emersed but will add them to 'scapes in the near future. Thank you for some nice plants.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seattle, that sounds like a likely scenario.

I'm glad the plants are doing well. I have a few of the Ranu growing emersed as well. They appear very healthy but barely spread. What kind of conditions are you growing them emersed?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Seattle, that sounds like a likely scenario.

I'm glad the plants are doing well. I have a few of the Ranu growing emersed as well. They appear very healthy but barely spread. What kind of conditions are you growing them emersed?
Hi houseofcards,

I grow almost all of my emersed plants the same way. I use a 3" plastic pot (easy to clean and sterilize) put about 3/4" of natural gravel on the bottom, then I add Miracle-Grow Potting Mix (reg. not organic) to about 1" from the top. Lastly I put about 1/8" layer of Special Kitty over the potting mix so it is easier to spot any fungus (seldom have any) or BGA which occasionally shows up but it is easy to spot. The when I add plants I try to make sure that the roots are in the potting mix. I water with Miracle-Grow Water Soluble General Purpose plant food that I mix about 1/2 strength.

The pot is placed into a 'humididome' (cut off 2 liter soda bottle), I add water about 1/3 the way up the pot, and place under a shoplight with 2X40 watt daylight lamps.

H.c. 'Cuba' growing emersed

Shelf with emersed species; 'humidomes' with tops on

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a great little system. Thanks for sharing that. I don't grow that many things emersed, so the one's I have been growing (or keeping alive for future needs), I've just been using aquasoil usually in a plastic bin with a plastic wrapping over the top. I usually mist them once or twice a day.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi houseofcards,

I have been known to use bins as well and still have a couple set up; mostly with Crytocorynes in pots now but I used to do other species. I cover the bins with a thin sheet of fairly rigid plastic like they use for recessed ceiling lights.

Bin with lid removed showing some species I used to grow this way.

One of the C. wendtii 'Florida Sunset' that is currently growing in a bin

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi houseofcards,

Here are the three species I received from you about 3/23/16 and all three are doing very well, lost little to no leaves, and they are now sending out emersed leaves. The Staurogyne 'Porto Viejo' should be a nice addition to my tanks; I'm looking forward to having enough to plant out. The Ranunculus inundatus has tripled the number of leaves they arrived with; btw thank you for those. Even the Hygrophila pinnatifida has started new emersed leaves at the arrows.

Staurogyne 'Porto Viejo'

Ranunculus inundatus

Hygrophila pinnatifida

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.