The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
They are becoming more and more popular. That's a good price but be warned they take an experience aquatic gardener to get them going. Most die off.

I have 5 left from my original 13 baby plants.

3 of which are emersed grown but are not growing at a good rate yet. Maybe with time they will improve, I don't know.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That top photo is Tropica plants! Tropica plants are not usually available in the US, apparently because the ones in pots contain "soil" and that violates our agricultural rules. I need to go check these out, since I will be there today anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That top photo is Tropica plants! Tropica plants are not usually available in the US, apparently because the ones in pots contain "soil" and that violates our agricultural rules. I need to go check these out, since I will be there today anyway.
I was there today, and didn't see anyone. I felt like a lot of their plants were overpriced. I bought what I needed to buy, but idk. I just felt like they were overpriced.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was there today, and didn't see anyone. I felt like a lot of their plants were overpriced. I bought what I needed to buy, but idk. I just felt like they were overpriced.
Overpriced compared to which store? Aquaworkz is the only aquarium store in the sacramento area that sells a good variety of plants. They even have buces which are pretty uncommon for brick and mortar stores.

Exotic Aquarium is a hit and miss for plants. Sometimes they have a good selection when the new plant order are in and sometimes no good plants to buy. Rivers to reef has a few selection of plants and Aqua life aquariums is just too far.

I was able to buy one tissue culture of the crypt flamingo. I separated the plants into 8 different plants and looks like they are starting to grow. Don't know if they will stay pink though LOL.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Overpriced compared to which store? Aquaworkz is the only aquarium store in the sacramento area that sells a good variety of plants. They even have buces which are pretty uncommon for brick and mortar stores.

Exotic Aquarium is a hit and miss for plants. Sometimes they have a good selection when the new plant order are in and sometimes no good plants to buy. Rivers to reef has a few selection of plants and Aqua life aquariums is just too far.

I was able to buy one tissue culture of the crypt flamingo. I separated the plants into 8 different plants and looks like they are starting to grow. Don't know if they will stay pink though LOL.

I picked up a little turkey baster and it was $8, the next size up was about $18. Their drip system was about $14, little things like that were overpriced. I also bought a little plastic syringe, and it was about $1.14 for one.

I got a tub of riccia and it was about $8.99, floaters are $5.99, I mean, I guess it is a good price, but I think it adds up really fast. Also, their snails and live shrimp are like $2.99 each whereas at other locations, it is way cheaper. All of my prices are estimates, but that's just how I feel.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Has anyone experienced these tissue culture plants to be harder to transition? I mean i can do, just saying.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have found plant prices to be hard to judge. You can buy plants on line cheaper, sometimes, but the shipping costs almost always raise the price way above store prices. Some stores sell plants cheaper, but their plant quality and selection is usually very iffy. If I am looking for just one plant or one pot of plants, I find any of the store prices to be a bargain. But, if I am looking for several plants, in quantity, for a re-scape, the on line cost can be the lowest, but the quality is iffy because you can't see what you will get until they arrive. I just take that risk, hoping I will save money in the long run. The For Sale forum here is probably the best source for on line purchases, if you want the best chance of getting quality plants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.