The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this crypt as a toss in when I bought some other stuff. I wasn't about to turn it down, but since I wasn't really asking for it, I didn't really know what it was. After planting it, then moving it a couple of days later, I just expected it to melt based on what I read about crypts, but it has survived and put out two new leaves in the two weeks I've had it.

1. So, what is it?

2. Second question:The roots aren't staying down in the substrate. What's up with that? They were all under the gravel initially, and were there for at least the first few days or week. Are they coming up because that's where the nutrients are (I've added some potassium and iron to the water, but no root tabs), is this just something they do, or is there something else going on? I can't tell if there is anything different to see in these two pics, but I'll put them both just in case.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
1. Too small to tell IMO. Let it grow out some more and it should be easier to ID it.

2. The roots that came with it should be chopped off to allow for root expansion into your substrate. If those are new roots, then their shouldn't be any problems. It's normal for crypts to send up some roots above the substrate if they're looking for more nutrients.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Looks like Wendtii Bronze.

I wouldn't worry about the roots they will either make there way into the substrate or just stick out a bit.

This crypt can grow very tall 15 to 18 inches with good lighting and co2, if you ad root tabs it will take off. I use Total from aquariumplants.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.