has anyone ever heard of these two plants having compatability issues? I'm into like the 3rd or 4th year of trying to get my crypts back to the bombproof tank engulfing monster plants they used to be and trying to narrow down possibilities.
Well, a couple things changed... I had always just had a lowtech tank and the thing thrived (guess i should have just left everything alone) then i decided to get a fancy light. Didn't really know at the time that if you make one big change beprepared to make more. I went from a basic 15 watt light over a twenty gallon to a double lamp T5ho lamp at 48 supposed watts. The plants pearled for about a week and did awsome.
This didn't happen over night but slowly my crypts just started to fade. They used to be in 10 inch tall 10 inch wide clumps and they just slowly melted back over the course of like six months or so to little scragly things.
The substrate wsa always just a small gravel with a lot of built up mulm in the bottom, nothing fancy, so i tried blending in some ecco complete with the gravel, nothing nada.
Well, I actually started doing my reasearch and realized my tank was completely out of balance. I believe by cranking up the light with no added fertz or co2 that i forced the crypts to use up all their reserves that they had built up over the years adn then they just had no fuel left to maintain their growth or their size.
I started fertilizing, limiting the light time, and diy co2. I did see some results but i just didn't have the time to keep it up. I've gone back to the basic light, and basic fertilizer once a water change. I dont' feed a lot, i think 3 times a week so there is no waste. The water is really clear, also just set up a canister filter so the tank should have way more filtration than it ever had before.
One thing though, I know that I do way fewer water changes than i used to. When the plants were all in a 10 gallon i was doing a change of at least 25 percent once a week. now in the twenty i do it like once a month. don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
The crypts are still only a couple inches tall and whispy 3 or 4 leaves on each plant.
as a side note. The anubis are effectively bomb proof and doing great.
And the other thing, i know crypts are supposed to be sensitive but before this i used to beat the crap out of them, moving them, uprooting them and letting them lay in the tank until i got back to it, didn't matter, heck they seemed to love it the way they grew.
Now, I am back to a splash of Flourish after a water change of 25 percent that i am trying to do at least every 2 weeks, lower lighting, and even doing root tabs, which honestly have seemed to be a waste on anything but the anubis.