The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon with 220 watts lighting (2 110 watt VHO bulbs) ... I do weekly water changes (30 %), dose with waterchange (Florish, Florish Iron, Florish Excel) plus micro nuitiants (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4). currently running NO CO2 (although I have a DIY Drum made from 6 inch PVC (12 inches high).

My tank has been running for 3 years ... I have a 3 inch substrait bed ... quartz gravel that I mixed in Laterite when I set it up).

Crypts are doing OK, but not really THRIVING. Hoping to get some really bushy growth.

I just bought a Plant Guild Spot Fertilizing system and made up some pellets last night.

Suggestions/advice for a Crypt Jungle?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have a 55 gallon with 220 watts lighting (2 110 watt VHO bulbs) ... I do weekly water changes (30 %), dose with waterchange (Florish, Florish Iron, Florish Excel) plus micro nuitiants (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4). currently running NO CO2 (although I have a DIY Drum made from 6 inch PVC (12 inches high).

My tank has been running for 3 years ... I have a 3 inch substrait bed ... quartz gravel that I mixed in Laterite when I set it up).

Crypts are doing OK, but not really THRIVING. Hoping to get some really bushy growth.

I just bought a Plant Guild Spot Fertilizing system and made up some pellets last night.

Suggestions/advice for a Crypt Jungle?

Thanks
That is a lot of light with no CO2 IMO
That will be your rate limiter

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Getting some CO2 in there would be a good move but it will stall with the culture fluctuations. Pressurized would help maintain the fert regime and keep growth at a steady rate.

At this point you are using Excel so you have provided a carbon source. Add the DIY CO2 so you don't have to use as much but don't rely on it as the sole source. I've used Excel as a crutch before and once it runs out the balance is screwed.

Is this the substrate system you purchased?
SUBSTRATE RETROFITER

Looks like a fun system since you can build your own. The substrate combo you have is probably not providing the plants much these days...

My 2 cents.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
They hit it on the head, for crypts you have too much light with not enough CO2 and only a partially fertile substrate. Get some food to the roots and either lower the light to half or get the pressurized CO2 running.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What type of crypts do you have? Most of the crypts are able to grow in an environment without CO2. Since you are praticing water change every week. Crypts do need very high nutrients from the gravel. Perhaps, you need something like Root Monster, ADA Multi-Long bottom + Iron Long Bottom will giving you very good result.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of crypts do you have? Most of the crypts are able to grow in an environment without CO2. Since you are praticing water change every week. Crypts do need very high nutrients from the gravel. Perhaps, you need something like Root Monster, ADA Multi-Long bottom + Iron Long Bottom will giving you very good result.
Can you tell me more about these?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.