The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm getting a 40B after Xmas, I was
thinking a tank with CRS and RCS with some
neon tetras. My ph is currently 6.8 anyways.
Some threads that I have read says that when
there are two of these species in a tank, they
don't breed as much? I'll set the temp at 74 since
CRS like cooler temps and RCS like it 74-78F.
Would there be any problems?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
They might breed and be ok, although RCS outbreed CRS by far and you'll have a lot more RCS than CRS after not too long. That's providing you take the tetras out as tetras are baby shrimp hunters. Everyone under estimates the neon because they are small, but they are a very aggressive carnivore fish.

·
Super Moderator
17,002 Posts
Shrimp will become easy snacks for Tetras. Pick fish or shrimp, don't try to do both with Tetras. Especially if you're new to the hobby of shrimp keeping.

It's also not a good idea to try keep Neos and Crystals together if you're new. Both have different water hardness needs. Temperature is not an issue for Neos - the 74-78 thing is a bit of a myth.

Crystals will need water with 0-1KH, about 5GH, TDS probably around 150-160, pH will likely need to be below 6.5 (though 6.8 could work). RO/DI water remineralized with something like Shirakura Ca+ or Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra will likely be necessary.

While they can be kept together, most don't attempt it until they have a lot of shrimping under their belt.

·
Super Moderator
17,002 Posts
pH isn't the most important parameter for shrimp, fortunately.

Temperature isn't really an issue for Neos or Crystals. They're great in just about any room temp.

pH 6.8 is just fine. Temp could go even lower, believe it or not. I think CRS can tolerate temps around the 65 range.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a 4-gallon tank with only CRS and PFR right now. Both are thriving perfectly and both species are breeding right now too....though the PFR colony is definitely out pacing the CRS.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been thinking Nick's OEBTS, they look sick, but
are fairly cheap. I wish I could get them. I can only
stick to my LFS's stock. They have some SS grade
crystals for 5$ each!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.