The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept my CRS with assassins for awhile now and they have been doing fine, health-wise. I understand that CRS do well in soft and acidic water. I don't have any test kits but the CRS are living happily in city tap water so no problems there.

My problem is that the tips of the assassins' shells are eroding away in city tap water. It doesn't seem like a big deal to their health or anything so far but their shells definitely weren't as happy as when I first got them.

Does anyone keep CRS with assassins here? How would you deal with the soft, acidic water chipping away assassin shells?

On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know how CPOs fare against city tap water? I don't have any parameters, but just wondering if anyone knows. I've lost a pair but don't know the cause of death and suspect it might be the water...

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
problem is, city water is different in every neighborhood, sounds like yours is soft and acidic though.

shrimp do great in soft acidic water, but snails dont. CPO also enjoy soft acidic.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I was wondering if people cater to CRS with soft acidic water, that means they shouldn't keep assassins with them?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Well, I think assassins are a temporary situation, most people use them for a purpose (to get rid of snails) and then sell them, or keep them. Long term (over a year or so) the shells will degrade and the older ones will die, while the young ones live on (until their shells also corrode). So it's really up to you. When well fed with snails a pair will make 1-5 eggs a day, so procreation is no problem, even in the soft acidic environment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts