The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I keep talking about how I'm going to make a CRS tank journal and I've been waiting! Well now its started to mark the advent of my 2000 post mark. I'll add all the BLAH BLAH stuff later when I have time.

10g. Stock light. HOB filter. Cheap Heater.

I bought some Florabase Substrate to bring the PH down. Got it free from credits on RCS!

Today: Brought the two gay GBRs to the LFS and got a good credit for them. Also gave the guy some moss since he's been having a really harsh time with his in his display tank (It was a $40 piece:icon_lol: ) I came home with half a dozen FW clams:biggrin: and a FF shrimp, bamboo probably. But I'm just happy that the rams willn't be sold and well be in the new display tank:biggrin: .

This week I plan on emptying the tank, This weekend or monday (might be skiing this weekend:biggrin: ) I will completely redo the tank. Aquascaping will come once it's stable.

Well WOOT on 2K posts! Pictures will come tomorrow!

-Andrew

I felt I needed A picture and the 10g pic. is MIA so here are the CRS I have atm!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Today wasn't too eventful. Planned the scape out a little bit. What I'm going to try and do right now (could change..) Is make a "root" and then have some rocks in the back. The "Root" will hide the filter intake and heater and will be covered in moss either fissidens fonatus or willow, or a mix of the two. Then the backround will have some larger rocks I collected with fissidens on them probably maybe some pelia. Behind the rocks will be some italian vals. the back left will be some crypts easing the way from the hardscape (root/rocks) to the foreground which will be a nano moss lawn. The front right corner will probably be left open and I might put a clam or two in that part.

Oh, And I'll have Giant DW and some water lettuce on top and random stems in the tank in the beginning to suck up the nutrients!

My plans and plants might change some but thats it for now.

Hopefully this week I will take the last of the remaining things out of the 10g and then start the tank friday probably maybe tomorrow depending on how busy I am.

Then I'll play with the plants and scape for a month or two, then add the CRS I already have and eventually get some others, and Diamonds...

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunday afternoon I tore the rest of the 10g down. All it had was some DW and rocks and radom pieces of moss. Then I took out the flourite (most of it) and added the Florabase. I kinda "dry scaped" but didn't really scape since I just filled it in with some fast growers that I had on hand. Then I added a dozen or so MTS and a Asian FW Clam (which is awesome!) Now its slowly getting to normal tank status. I think it should be cycled by today or tomorrow, because I left all the mulm in the bottom and then I also squeezed the filter stuff and lots of the other mulm from the flourite was dumped in.

I'll have LOTS of pictures later today.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a big feeling your clam would eat your baby CRS if you're planning to keep them in your CRS tank. After all clams are filter feeders and a baby shrimp is like big plankton :-D. Just a thought.

And you probably won't have your tank 100% cycled in a day lol. But plants would help with the water. I wish you great luck with your CRS!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like great progress! WOW pictures??? It's about time you post pictures on here!!:icon_surp
LOL yeah I know I know... I'm so picture lazy... But no one would want to see my other tanks lol...

I have a big feeling your clam would eat your baby CRS if you're planning to keep them in your CRS tank. After all clams are filter feeders and a baby shrimp is like big plankton :-D. Just a thought.

And you probably won't have your tank 100% cycled in a day lol. But plants would help with the water. I wish you great luck with your CRS!
I'm pretty sure the clam is Shrimp safe:hihi: . They filter a LOT! but I don't think it could take in the smallest baby CRS. And yea my tank is cycled already:tongue: . Just double checked today and nitrates and ammonia both tested at 0 or too small of an amount to pick up:icon_wink

So Yeah, rules on cycle where thrown out the window:biggrin: But I wont be adding shrimp for about a month, maybe two.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so here are the pictures from me tearing down the tank and refilling it.

Before tank demolished!

Just substrate

In bucket

Mulm and a little bit of substrate left

FLORA BASE!

They FLORA BASE Pyramid!

My hand didn't think the FLORA BASE Pyramid scape would be liked by anyone... :(

Plants on plate includes: italian val, Jungle Val, Java fern, some other random things...

Plants in tank, no water.

Stringy moss

Jungle Val

Italian Val

Java fern
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/Fish_Newb/CRS tank adventure/CRStankAdventure2-20-07019.jpg

Crypt

There are a few more pictures but I have to go, so I'll upload them tomorrow. They're the w/water pictures. But I'll also get pictures of it tonight to give a nice comparison.

Thanks for wasting your time looking at these crazy pictures:hihi: :help:

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
We Need W/H2O Pictures!!!! GAAAH!!

Also, how long does Florabase work. Is it better than Aquasoil? JW.

Soo wait a second. Where are your CRS at the moment?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the "nice" pictures lol Can't wait to see the pictures of the tank with water in it lol:hihi:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nice thread, hope everything goes well for you. Be sure to have a good filtration/water change system so you can provide the cleanest water for your shrimp especially baby CRS when they hatch:D

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vallisneria gigantea, perhaps V. americana. That's why common names generally suck. I'm pretty sure Italian Val and Jungle Val are synonyms.
No Italian Val. and Jungle Val. is different. Italian vals are much thiner leaves and jungle vals are much larger leaves. From waht I know. Common names do suck:hihi: , its ever Worse with moss :help:

Nice thread, hope everything goes well for you. Be sure to have a good filtration/water change system so you can provide the cleanest water for your shrimp especially baby CRS when they hatch:D
Thanks, I might get RO filter in a few months but I'm not sure if I would be able to hook it up in the house:icon_lol: . So I'll see, if not the LFS near me sells RO water.

Filled tank shots from day 1 will be uploaded and posted today, Sorry about that guys I had to go. Just got those shots hosted and posted!

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We Need W/H2O Pictures!!!! GAAAH!!

Also, how long does Florabase work. Is it better than Aquasoil? JW.

Soo wait a second. Where are your CRS at the moment?
Its pretty much the same thing. I've had mine in the 55g for a year now. Its still working great. I'm not sure which is "better" since I haven't tried AS yet, just because its easy to go grab a few bags of this stuff from my lfs since no one else buys it :hihi: .

CRS are in the 55g.

Sweet! Thanks for the "nice" pictures lol Can't wait to see the pictures of the tank with water in it lol:hihi:
Thanks, it seems my photos are getting better each time. I'll post the pictures now...

Thanks,
-Andrew

sorry about the DP I didn't realize that I missed some others, If I missed you Sorry...:icon_frow

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And here are the H2O pictures!!

Put a paper towel over the plants to keep disturbance to a minimum!

Still cloudy!

The clam pictures...

I really like the clams:hihi: Will probably try breeding them in the spring:biggrin:

Updated pictures of the tank will be taken tonight probably!

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
The 10 gal are good for breeding CRS, but you might want to look into a bigger tank if you plan on breeding a lot. I have 15gal tank, and its good but the more shrimp I got in it the more I had to clean it. 45-55gal are great! I only have to have a 30% water change once a month, or just to top it off. Cant wait to see the finished tank. I want to see some picture of your Shrimp when you get them in your tank.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts