The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have just made an account on this forum as I have only recently acquired 10 fully grown CRS shrimp. They have beautiful coloration and are in tip top condition, the white and red segments are clearly defined and they seem to be an A/S grade shrimp. I acclimatized the shrimp for about 2 hours on an extremely slow drip without leaving their side the whole time. On release into the aquascape I saw 9 of the 10 shrimps picking at the substrate, plants and driftwood. They appeared to be happy and lively as they explored the tank with vibrant colurs. After about 4 hours most of the shrimp went into the foliage of the tank and I only saw around 3 of them out exploring at once. The next day, there were 5 shrimps out when I turned the lights on of which 3 quickly went into hiding. I decided to put an algae wafer in, typically for my galaxy bristlenosed pleco, to see if more shrimp would emerge. Much to my surprise, 7 of the 10 shrimp came out and started feeding right away. They were both amusing and stunningly beautiful. When I woke up this morning there were 2 shrimp in the open on a piece of driftwood sitting quite still and dull in color. This is the part which concerns me the most. :icon_redf

Can anyone tell me why my shrimps are behaving like this (the hiding completely out of sight)?

I have done some research and others have said that it is because they are getting use to their new environment, however the fade in color of the two shrimps I saw is scaring me the most. :icon_cry:

I am just concerned and don't want to lose my shrimp to a stupid mistake that I could have easily gotten help for, I acquired these shrimp for a discount of $100, apposed to the retail of $200. :help:

I also noticed that one of the shrimps on the Java Fern was burried with some bright orange eggs. This was exiting yet heartbreaking to think that I might loose these babies along with their mother.

Can someone pleaseeee give me some advice on how to maintain the shrimp's health and happiness whilst allowing them to breed and form a full sized colony? Maybe how to maintain the perfect ecosystem/environment/habitat for these majestic creatures. :help:

Kind regards,
Ben Hoffmann :help:

·
Registered
819 Posts
The shrimps are most likely stressed for various reasons that makes them losing their color. It can be other fish in the tank, poor quality water, water requirement PH/KH/GH are not good and stable for them...etc.

To create a good environment for CRS, it's better to use RO water with remineralize shrimps product. Tap water normally with high PH over 7.5 is not suitable for CRS. And setup the tank with buffering substrate (ADA, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, Controlsoil) to help lower and maintain PH for them. CRS will stay better with PH 6-6.5 in my experience.

There're products that can remineralize RO water for shrimp (BorneoWild, Mosura, Salty Shrimp...). These products contain minerals and trace elements for CRS to love and breed.

Give more information about your setup and we can help with the right answer.

P/s: are those CRS pure red line. If it's just regular CRS with grade A/S. It's way too expensive. Normal CRS is only $3-$5/esch depending on grade.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Could another reason for the dull color also have to do with their exoskeleton? I used to own tarantulas, which are also inverts. Basically a spider will grow an exoskeleton under their current exoskeleton, dulling the colors of their current one. Does the same thing not happen to shrimp before they molt?

Just curious, I like him have shrimp, I have RCS however. There is about 20 in my tank and I only see a handful at a time. I suspected this was just normal behavior.

Also, are full grown shrimp not harder to acclimate? I would have thought someone selling pure line CRS would have known that and not sold him larger shrimp due to the possibility of losing them during acclimation?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
P/s: are those CRS pure red line. If it's just regular CRS with grade A/S. It's way too expensive. Normal CRS is only $3-$5/esch depending on grade.
A lot of items are way more expensive in Australia. :wink2:

So sorry this is happening to your shrimp, Ben. Hopefully you get some answers.

Did you buy these from a store and bring them home or were they shipped to you therefore possible shipping stress?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Yukiharu
The tank water parameters are as follows:
Temp- 24 Degrees Celsius
TDS- 200ppm
pH- 6.5 (using Fluval Shrimp Stratum)
Nitrite- 0ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

I have 2 forms of filtration, a hang on the back filter which is cleaned once every month and a fully cycled double sponge filter powered with an air pump. The water is impeccably clean and the lights run for 10-12 hours a day.

As far as water change schedules go, I am doing around 50% a week using filtered water through a premium grade 1 filter (that is the same as RO water). I allow this water to age for around a week as suggested by the supplier. There is a galaxy bristleosed pleco which is fully grown however he doesn't seem to bother them.
And the tank was cycled with fish for over half a year.

It is a heavily planted tank with easy to grow plants:
Java Fern
Anubias (multiple variety's)
Christmas moss
Java Moss
I will post a photo soon hopefully.

This morning I saw 4 of the shrimp and their colors are perfect the white and red segments are back to normal!
I am concerned that some of them may be dead and I am only seeing the 4-6 same ones, please re-assure me by saying why they are hiding so much.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Yukiharu
The tank water parameters are as follows:
Temp- 24 Degrees Celsius
TDS- 200ppm
pH- 6.5 (using Fluval Shrimp Stratum)
Nitrite- 0ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

I have 2 forms of filtration, a hang on the back filter which is cleaned once every month and a fully cycled double sponge filter powered with an air pump. The water is impeccably clean and the lights run for 10-12 hours a day.

As far as water change schedules go, I am doing around 50% a week using filtered water through a premium grade 1 filter (that is the same as RO water). I allow this water to age for around a week as suggested by the supplier. There is a galaxy bristleosed pleco which is fully grown however he doesn't seem to bother them.
And the tank was cycled with fish for over half a year.

It is a heavily planted tank with easy to grow plants:
Java Fern
Anubias (multiple variety's)
Christmas moss
Java Moss
I will post a photo soon hopefully.

This morning I saw 4 of the shrimp and their colors are perfect the white and red segments are back to normal!
I am concerned that some of them may be dead and I am only seeing the 4-6 same ones, please re-assure me by saying why they are hiding so much.
I'm sure your shrimp are fine. I have 20 maybe more in my tank and I only ever see a handful at a time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They will reproduce faster than you think. You'll have too many to count in no time.
Another question,

Can you tell me some of the best products on the market for CRS in particular to help them live longer, grow bigger and reproduce more readily/rapidly. Maybe as an example some products that help the water quality or some supplements,
foods and water conditioners (like Indian almond leaves).

Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Another question,

Can you tell me some of the best products on the market for CRS in particular to help them live longer, grow bigger and reproduce more readily/rapidly. Maybe as an example some products that help the water quality or some supplements,
foods and water conditioners (like Indian almond leaves).

Thanks
I'm no shrimp expert, I basically just have shrimp in my community tank and they clean up whatever my fish down haha.

But I've read they like calcium, and I hard a lot of people use cuttlebone to do this. Basically this helps them molt easier.

other then that, a variety of diets will help them. organic spinach, lettuce. shrimp pellets. I like to give all my creatures a varied diet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys and gals,

Just informing you that all of my 10 CRS' are still alive and doing well, I have recently seen a heavily burried feamale! YAYYYY it has been my dream to successfully breed CRS shrimps all my life so fingers crossed that all goes well for her and the rest of the colony. Any tips on how to keep the survival rate of the babies high?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is to suggest a sponge pre-filter for your HOB intake if you don't already have one.

Congrats on having a mama shrimp!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has been confirmed that I have 3 burried CRS shrimps in my aquascape now and all of the others are alive and well. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to get a maximum survival rate from the babies. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.