The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this coloring on this CRS have any type of name? White head and dark red body.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
could be a red wine shrimp. I would think you would know that if you had them though since they are really expensive and rare. Its possible you lucked out with the random mutation though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most of the wine reds + ruby reds I saw are darker shades.

But a better picture could help.

It is an mutation though :D +2

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'll buy it :hihi:

I want to try and breed all red CRS... It seems you've got me beat.

Good to see you around boink,

-Andrew

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive been semi around PT, but mostly in the local club forum...just trying to break down this shrimp tank for good. Been trying for a while to unload these shrimp too, haha.

Regarding the shrimp...I thought it might be a Red Wine shrimp, but the coloring wasnt exactly the same and I was too lazy to search more....

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
not a red wine...people all over this forum confusing things for red wine!!

It is an AWESOME mutation

·
Registered
801 Posts
The shrimp was bred in my tank with my other crs
That's a nice and rare mutation, congrats. Keep us posted on its status, I'm curious to see whether the mutated traits will pass on.

not a red wine...people all over this forum confusing things for red wine!!
Not a Wine Red, but a Ruby Red. Folks in Asia are breeding both these lines, including Panda and King Kong, in large numbers. Green "Hulk", Blue Bolt, and Purple mutated strains are being kept and bred as well.

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
if it came from a line of normal CRS it is not the same as ruby red...the chances of the same mutation happening twice in that short of a time period? Please be reasonable. Very cool shrimp though

·
Registered
801 Posts
The genetic variability of shrimp coming from the same strain is not that high, thus a single mutation can result in this phenotype. From corresponding with breeders abroad, mutations like this have occurred in as short a time as the F8 generation. Keep in mind that the CRS was a result of a mutated Bee Shrimp that exhibited a red hue. Though only through selective breeding were the red retained, became its own line, and high grade CRS obtained. The Ruby Red along with the other newly developed shrimp were a result of CRS mutations, and through selective breeding became their own lines. There is a possibility of boink obtaining a Ruby Red through a CRS mutation. Whether boink's shrimp are from the same line, we do not know. True that the possibility exists that this shrimp is not a Ruby Red and I accept your theory; however, the possibility also exists that it is indeed a Ruby Red mutation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts