The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there i am new to keeping shrimp and i have had a few unexplained deaths in the last few days. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have them in a mini m with aqua soil filtered with a 2211 and a hydor inline heater. i bougth the aqua soil in april and let it leach for about six weeks ammo tested 0. I got some shrimp aroud the end of may from a member here at about a 1/4 inch size and had very good luck with them till now. the group i bought grew up and bred as normal and i currently have 2 generations growing but the growth rate does seem slower than the first time around and i havent seen a berried female in awhile. I have had 2 deaths in 2 days both full grown shrimp and i cant figure out why please help! i have been feeding hikari crab cuisine, hikari algae wafers and some blanched kale evey now and then. did a test with an AP test kit tonight and the results are as follows PH 6.4-6.6, Ammo 0, Nitrate <5 the test comes up yellow, KH 1, GH 5, Temp 72. ALL suggestions welcome. Thanks -Elliot

*Edit. There is no co2 running on this tank.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
If the full grown shrimp are over a year old, it is probably old age, but it sounds like all your parameters are in order, good filtration, good substrate, not the best food, but that probably wouldn't kill off the shrimp. How do the rest of the shrimp look? Are they losing their white?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ill try and get some new food then. The adults still have me stumped because they are only like 6-7 months old. But oh well i guss. Any suggestions on why the breeding has seemed to slow down? Thank you very much for you replys!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Breeding usually slows down when the water isn't clean, there's too much carbonate hardness, or the pH is too low or high.

That's why I asked about the white coloration, it usually fades from too little minerals, dirty water, or pH too low. High temps also cause it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.